William Hayes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Alex1939, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

To me that was a pretty big deal. It's hard to imagine multiple teams have a player that it is not on a consensus list of 650+ players by ESPN/NFLN.

We drafted Hayes 103 overall and traded up to do so.

Gunny if you need proof here is the original draft thread on Hayes...

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=36379&highlight=Hayes

What's funny is this is the exact same argument by the exact same people from 4 years ago... I recommend the read.

Also I doubt I'm going to find the article from 4 years ago that quotes the 600 scouted players and I'm the only one in the thread that mentioned it. However multiple people quoted Mel Kiper's 66th best rated DE. Not that his ranking is the end all be all by any stretch but still... his 66th rated end we took 103 overall and traded up to do so... yes I should let this go but no...

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'm just curious if Carr was in the top 600 list.

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

We took a chance on a small school prospect with freakish measurables, yes he could have been had for a later round. Your arguement that I believe Gunny is saying is not logical is just because he wasn't on your list of draftable players it was a terrible move. Your in the later rounds you take chances on guys like that every year it happens, we have them every year every team does.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

History suggests he wasn't worth the pick.

I read the first thread- it IS very entertaining.

I love that Fisher said "we got some calls from other teams stating they WOULD have picked him with their next pick..."

I'm sure the boys in their draft rooms were :biglaugh: "Let's tell Fish that again after his next waste pick" or "Can you believe Fish FELL for it..." :biglaugh:

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/william-hayes?id=4483

Compares To: ROBERT MATHIS-Indianapolis...At this stage of the game, he looks just like Mathis did coming out of college. Like Mathis, his technique is very raw and he will need a total refinement of his pass rush moves and hand usage. He is too high cut to get a good anchor, as he plays at a highly elevated pad level. But he has very good natural speed to come off the edge and until he works on mechanical refinement, he can at least give good value as a situational pass rusher.

Same measurables and play style of Mathis coming out of college, Mathis was a 5th round pick from Alabama A&M. We pulled a trigger on a sleeper that could have ended u being like Mathis, however he turned out the way he did a rotational backup. Its absurd you guys feel you can do a better drafting job because you watch highlights on youtube or watch espn/nfl network. When the NFL are paying scouts to watch prospects throughout college.

6. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

I'm all for physical freakish guys with raw talent. thats why i wanted Jason Pierre Paul instead of Morgan. I wonder who the Titans would have picked if the Giants didnt get Paul? i bet they still went with Morgan.

7. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

what did the scouts say about Victor Cruze and Arrian Foster?

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

I'm not just going off but what the scout said but to help some members realize we aren't scouts leave that job to the front office. William Hayes was a small school prospect who had measurables in comparison to Mathis, anyone can admit that if you do the research they were similar coming out of college still doesn't prove anything. It's just absurd just because they aren't on someone watch list it was a bad move. Just like if we would or another team drafted Foster or Cruz in the 4th, just because they panned out makes it no difference to the Williams trade he had the potenital to be good which is what you look for in the later rounds.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

What do you think ESPN does? Do Mel Kiper and Todd McShay work for free?

Again, I'm not saying they are the end all, be all of draft experts. But if the company they work, ESPN, doesn't have a guy listed out of 800 (that's the actual number from original thread) then it's a huge freaking reach. It's not like ESPN doesn't want to be able to cover a draft pick...

And actually f all of that. Pretty much you could throw 30 players projected around our second round pick on a dart board and draft whoever your dart hit and have equal or better success than us over the last 10 years. Just go look at our 2nd and 3rd round picks over the last decade. Some people act like drafting is rocket science, it aint'!

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

Go ahead pull out one of your mock drafts you made for us doubtful half the guys you picked won't be available when you pick. Their is more to drafting/scouting than you think, do you even watch college football or just wait for Mel Kiper to open his mouth. Was Brandon Carr on your 650 list?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar