Will Vince be enough to keep Floyd's job?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Dec 11, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

in 99 and 00, mcnair was doing exactly what he is doing now. go out and score 17 points and hope your d holds the other team to 16.

we were a one man team in 2002 and 2003 when our defense wasnt what is was in years past and we couldnt run.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I don't blame anyone for having to rebuild. We had to rebuild. It is what it was. And hey look, we've rebuilt in 3 years flat. I think he stays.

3. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

This poll officially determines whether or not I keep Floyd around for a couple more years. Choose wisely.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think the play of guys like Roos, Bell, Finnegan, Hill, Stewart, Pacman, Scaife, and Brandon Jones as draft picks and FA signings of guys like Hall, Thornton, Mawea, Hope, and KVB (how about the trade for Henry) are what should keep Reese around (Givens could pay off down the road as well especially if we lose Bennett). Also, everyone wants to cut Reese head off for how he handled the CAP over the last few years but we stand on the cusp of being a contending team again and we have about 40 mil of CAP room and a bunch of draft picks. All this despite having a few less than average drafts.

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Floyd stunk it up for 3-4 years straight, and did nothing to warrant keeping his job.

However, he's had two fantastic drafts in a row. Consider what Floyd has done in the past two years:

• In VY and Pacman, we have two of the most exciting and dangerous playmakers in the entire league.
    • Roos and Stewart look like they'll be bookends for years to come.
    • Scaife has been rock solid, and keeps getting better.
    • Reynaldo Hill has settled down and played well the last few weeks. He has little trouble sticking to receivers....if he could just figure out when the ball is coming, he'd be a very good corner.
    • Finnegan looks like a serious keeper...all the kid does is make plays. He's the new Blaine Bishop...he'll probably be overshadowed by Pacman, but he could be at a Pro Bowl level within 2 years.
    • Tulloch and Lowry are both coming along nicely, and look like they could be solid core players for years to come.
    • I still haven't written off Lendale. Give him an offseason of conditioning, let him get focused, and he could be a monster.

Not bad for two years' work, huh? If Floyd wants to stay, I say let him. It appears that he's learned from his past mistakes....and they were some hard lessons learned. After 2-3 years of suffering, I'd hate to cut him loose now and let some other team reap the benefits of his newfound knowledge.

6. Pit Bull #53

Pit Bull #53 Guest

:ha:

I love this guy

7. moose4now

moose4now Starter

I think you may be right.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

In all honesty, it's really only been a year and a half. They dismantled the roster in March of 2005. The 2004 season was horrible, but that wasn't rebuilding....that was due mostly to injuries.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Remember that until this season the Titans had zero CAP space to spend on FAs. That wasn't Reese's fault because the FO wanted to keep the team together through 2004 to make another run at the SB. We came off a 12-4 season in 2003 and Mac was MVP. The 2003 draft was pathetic in hind sight but after the draft everyone had high expectations. We had what looked like a starting CB, RB and WR to replace postions we were going to lose in the near future.

Also, apparently everyone also forgets the 2004 draft where it looked like Reese hit the motherload when he made the trade with Houston. We drafted Troupe, LaBoy, Odom, Starks, and Bell in that draft. Although none of those players have turned out to be high quality picks we looked like we filled some serious needs and got decent value. Sure there are some picks like Gardner, Nickey, Schobel, Fleming and Reynolds that didn't pan out but Reese was trying to fill about 10 holes. The one guy I wish we had taken in that draft was Bob Sanders. Remember also that we were not picking early in the first round in those two drafts.

Still, Reese has managed to get this team into position to contend after two CAP riddled seasons (remember that injuries were one of the prime reasons we stunk in 2004) with a mass amount of CAP room, great playmakers in place, quality vets mixed in with youth and extra picks in the next draft.

10. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

The past two drafts have been some of the best in the league, with VY, Pac, Lendale, Roos, BJ, Stewart, and late round picks like Scaife, Hill, and Finnegan. That being said, he has had some colossal busts. Especially in the 2003 draft, Andre Woolfolk and Ty Calico as your first two picks? That's awful. Ben Troupe and Randy Starks haven't lived up to expectations. Guys like Mike Echols, Tony Beckham, Jared Clauss, Rich Gardner, Bo Schobel, Jake Schifino, Eddie Berlin, and Michael Wadell have or did not do anything. So it's basically a toss up, but I think the busts outweigh the hits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar