Will the Titans draft Mariota if given the chance?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Fishman35, Nov 12, 2014.

?
  1. Definitely

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. Depends on Mett's performance the rest of the year

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. No, we have bigger needs in the eyes of the FO

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  4. No way

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

What's sad is watching you play FF little man

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So you are on board with handing the next 4-5 years of this franchise over to a guy alledgedly accused of rape and several instances of breaking rules...and that's just the off-field stuff. Then you blow off that he is lucky saying couldn't we use some luck? Yes, we could use some luck but poor decisions turn into BAD LUCK in the NFL. I'm not talking about a lucky bounce almost led to an INT. If it weren't for several lucky breaks for him and FSU, they would have 2 or 3 losses and Winston would have about 5 more INT's. Do you understand the IMPACT of those lucky breaks? instead of 10-0 on track for the top seed in the playoffs, they could be 7-3 with NO CHANCE at the playoffs. And then how does that won-loss record and gazillion 4th quarter comeback numbers look? He'd look like what he is...a streaky QB. He can play lights out at times and at other times he looks like a rookie. And keep in mind, how do his stats change. If 4 of those are picked, his TD/INT ratio is a paltry 17:15...not what you're looking for from a top 5 pick in the draft.

I see his upside but there are a LOT of red flags. And BTW, what do you think would happen to Big Ben if that rape allegation happened this season? He wouldn't be on the field I can promise you that! There is too much risk IMO and while the upside is huge, it's hardly guaranteed even if he stays out of trouble off the field! Taking such a huge risk on a boom or bust player...especially in the top 10 picks of the first round at QB is not smart! The odds are stacked against you.

I hope another team takes him so we aren't tempted to!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  3. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

Let's take it easy on the CAPS key when we're talking about the reigning heisman trophy winner, national champion, and currently owner of the longest winning streak in the country. Bow and pay homage.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

[​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 3
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I don't and NEVER have and never will pay homage to peyton manning, one of the greatest QB's in NFL history. Why does Winston mean anything to me now? He's either playing for us or against us so...no bowing!

6. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

So... pick Mariota? I think if we get the #1 it would be foolish not to. I think Mett could be a solid QB but he needs work and I think Mariota truly is a great QB. He only has like 12 INTs in 3 seasons and only 2 this season so far... he is clearly about to win the heisman. We need a new face of the franchise playmaker and he could easily be it.

If we don't get #1, tampa bay or oakland may take him. Personally I think oakland would be foolish to take him but they arent known for making smart decisions...

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

No way the Titans take Marriota. He isn't the Whiz type of QB, big strong armed pocket guy. Of this class, Connor Cook is the only Whiz type guy.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So the question is, do you take a lesser talented player who projects into your system or do you take the most talented player and adjust your system to put him into the best scenario to succeed.

Luck and RG3 are good examples of this. Luck is a prototypical QB who also happenes to be fast. He went to a conventional type offense.

RG3 was a zone/read spread QB and to Shanahan's credit, he installed that system for him and he did very well with it. Same as Seattle did with Russell Wilson. As did SF with Kap.

But now we are seeing SF trying to turn Kap into mostly a pocket passer and he looks bad. Same with RG3 in a West Coast system...missing easy reads.

9. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Hell NO on Marriota....YES in a big way to Amari Cooper. Imagine if you can Mett dropping back (behind a line that can block), scanning the field then stepping into the pocket and launching a beautiful arching bomb that travels 60 yards in the air into the waiting hands of of Amari Cooper as he streaks two yards ahead of the over matched db for another glorious Titans touchdown. Brings a tear to my eyes just thinking about it.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. TitanTime

TitanTime Special Teams Standout

I wouldn't mind the pick, but I would rather go Defense or top level receiver (Cooper or Parker). You can cry that he's a product of the system all you want to. But idc what system you're running, When you have 36 TD's to only TWO interceptions that's pretty darn good. And to those who say "How many times have you seen him throw over 10 yards". I've watched him several times this year, and seen him throw several times 10 yards and beyond and he looked pretty accurate to me. I'm not sure what people want from him? He throws deep just about as often as many other QB's, but because he throws some screens and quick routes he's labeled weak armed and inaccurate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar