Will the economy affect free agency's economics?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>With NFL free agency less than two weeks away, it's a question hanging in the air: Will the national economic crisis impact contracts for big names hitting the NFL's free market at a time when the league and some teams have been cutting staffs?</p> <p>I spoke with Colts president Bill Polian and Jim Steiner, an agent with CAA Football, about it Monday morning.</p> <p>"I would not expect agents to recognize that there is a problem in the country, that's not in their job description or in their DNA, I guess," said Polian, whose team is not traditionally a big shopper in free agency and who won't have salary-cap room to alter that approach come Feb. 27. "Whether or not clubs will be responsive to that, especially given the fact that there have been any number of layoffs around the league, will remain to be seen. It's certainly going to be interesting."</p> <p>Steiner, of course, said he and the agent community know full well about the status of the economy, but also know that many of the ingredients that make for big NFL contracts have not changed. Steiner's free-agents-to-be include Philadelphia safety <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=978" target="_new">Brian Dawkins</a> and tackle <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1057" target="_new">Jon Runyan</a>, Steelers quarterback <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4465" target="_new">Byron Leftwich</a> and Miami tackle <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5544" target="_new">Vernon Carey</a>.</p> <p>"We all know what's gone on in the economy, that's no secret," Steiner said. "That's evident. It doesn't appear that it's having any economic impact on the deals in our specific industry at this particular time. I've not seen any evidence of it to date...</p> <p>"The teams are still sharing their television revenues as they have in the past, the contracts haven't changed. I can't speak to what's going to happen in the future when those contracts come up for renegotiation with the league and the networks, but today nothing's changed. And cap room is cap room. I don't anticipate other sectors of the economy are going to have an impact on our business today."</p> <p>Polian often touches on America's other major league sports for context, and said he's often seen football's free-agent market operate in a similar fashion to how baseball went before it.</p> <p>"We have always historically followed baseball and if you follow baseball's lead this year, then the early going was business as usual and then it came to a grinding halt after that," he said. "I'll be interested to see if the same pattern holds true in our business."</p>

More...

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Will the owners recognize the economy and reduce ticket prices?

3. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

No chance unless some sort of good faith to its long-term customers which would be nice, but they have bills to pay too, so not likely. If someone can't afford to re-up their season tickets, the PSL's go back into the pile to the next person on the waiting list can assume them. Theoretically, if not 1 person bought their season ticket this year and they could re-sell each PSL to a new owner, that would net them multi-millions.

PSL's range from $250-$4,500 per, so lets say $1,000 on the average X 60,000 seats is $60,000,000 in additional income - before the cost of season tickets is even factored in.

However, all this is unlikely because of 60,000 people decided not to re-up tickets they'd already invested in the license for, then I can promise you there aren't that many people willing to pay the same PSL asking price all over again. Plus, if someone doesn't want season tickets any longer, they can sell their PSL's on the open market rather than giving them back to the team for $0

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

it's affecting baseball free agency, no reason to think differently here..

5. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Yeah once I saw that Bobby Abreu could only manage to get 5 million on the market this season after Ted Lilly got double that two years ago, that's when the economy started to affect sports for me.

6. It will affect signings because the TV contracts will have to be renewed in a few years and the salary cap will go down then. Plus, the CBA situation will impact contracts as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar