Will Ruston do what is best for team, or himself?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Or is it one in the same?

Tommy Smith has already said that Webster is safe, but I think we all know that he will be on the hot seat this year ... So, will being on the hot seat affect his decision making as a GM? Will he take more risks? Will he sacrifice the 'future' for the 'right now'? Will he use the draft picks to 'buy time' for himself?

Basically, if I am Ruston Webster, I am trying to not get fired after next season, and secure my job for the next couple of years.

So what can Ruston do to not be fired?

I think #1 he needs to make a big splash in FA. Don't worry about the money or the future, because you might not be here. Just get as many big name FAs in as you can, even if you have to overpay for them.

This should work for him in a couple of ways. 1st of all, bringing in big name FAs will bring some much needed hype to this team. Hype=fan attendance=money=happy owner.

Also, bringing in talent should help get a few more wins out of this team. wins=fan attendance=money=happy owner

The downside would be, over spending for FAs now (esp when the team isn't ready to take the next step to being a contender) is just a short term solution to adding a few extra wins. And it could lead us to a cash strapped future ... but again, should Webster be too concerned about the future right now?

The 2nd step is to draft a QB with the #2 pick. Again, drafting a high profile QB will bring attention to the team. Also, this is a great excuse for him and Whiz if they have a bad season.

But again, this may not be in the best interest of the future of the team if there are better prospects on the board, or trades available. Also, why would whiz trade the 2nd pick for future picks, if he might not be here to use them?

Or maybe, this scenario is best for him and the team.

Just some food for thought

2. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

If Winston is still on the board when we pick, we have to do one of 2 things. Take him or trade down. It would be idiotic to pass on him or trading the pick and then selecting someone else.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

speaking of trading down, Ive identified 4 teams who might want our pick and highlighted their picks values to see who has the ammo to even come at us with an offer.

I kind of like NY Jets to send some picks our way so they get their next QB, we could do a lot with their top 3 picks. Houston has an outside chance but theyd need to include something from the 2016 draft.

teamswecouldtradewith.jpg

4. JCBRAVE

Signing some big fish FA who will make a real difference here would buy him a couple years

5. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

I could see Fish Face contacting us to see if we would give him a "home town" discount price for trading down to #2.

• LOL LOL x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

and we better hang up and laugh at him

no discounts for anyone

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm praying he realizes that if he doesn't turn it around THIS year... both him and Whiz are likely gone. Hopefully both of them will be trying to do everything they possibly can to make changes.

Ruston has a ton of money to spend and theirs some legit FA targets out there and he also has great draft picks. He better not screw this up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Hackitup4Hackenberg.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Thaddeus43

Do you really think we would trade inside the division? Esp since most believe that houston is 1 QB away from being very good. Would you want to give your rival their missing piece? It could haunt us for years.

I would still ask for something else from the Jets as well. Probably their top 3 picks this year and 1st rounder next year.

There will be no other QBs left in this draft that are considered 'franchise QBs' ... we need to demand a ransom for it.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. Thaddeus43

Icing on the cake would be if the jets trade next years 1st round pick, then Winston ends up a bust and they have a horrible year and get the 1st overall pick ... but really we get it lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar