Will Robinson blow up the secondary this off season???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Sims might not have done much, but he was at least around the WR. I know on one play the WR went up and caught the ball, Sims put his hand in and tried to knock the ball away. It was a good effort, he just didn't knock it out. He did exactly what he needed to as he couldn't defend the pass. Knocking it out was the only chance...unfortunately he didnt but at least made an effort.

I know "almost" doesn't count, but Cox doesn't even "almost" make a play. He's had a few INTs thrown straight to him but rarely is he anywhere near where the ball is being thrown. It's almost amazing how far out of position he (and many others) is on just about every play.

2. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Love that JR is willing to make the difficult decisions. No way would I have anticipated Cox being cut mid-season. I'd rather him be gone and the young guys get some playing time to improve.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. 10ACTyrant

10ACTyrant Starter

Did anyone hear McCain's interview yesterday where he kept saying "hands off to them" in regard to the play of Chicago's offense instead of "hats off to them"? I'm aware these guys aren't scholars but man that's pretty stupid.

• LOL LOL x 2
  4. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

I was surprised they had him playing man. I thought it was a zone defense, but he ran down the field with the WR on quite a few plays without help. I won't pretend to understand defense schemes, but I thought the safety was supposed to be involved at some point.

Looking back for the ball would have helped, but in all honesty, Barkley was throwing the ball like an All Pro towards the end, and it's a lot to expect for such a green CB to defend those throws. The defensive front really did nothing to prevent him from playing pitch and catch.

5. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Yeah. Sims was at least running along with the WRs. Much like BWW used to do, he was there, but just had no clue the ball was coming. He may improve as he gets more playing time. Cox just seemed to get worse the more he was challenged. At this point he knew the ball was going to be thrown at him and still was nowhere near defending it.

Pressure on the QB was terrible. I thought with an inexperienced QB, they had a chance to rack up some pressures and sacks. Seemed like Barkley got the ball out or just stood back and played pitch and catch at will.

6. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Reed at least has ball skills, but these late round rookies are in no way cut out to play anything but in nickel packages in year 1.

I don't see Robinson spending top dollar for tier 2 or 3 players next year a la NY or Jacksonville. Maybe if it were a championship team outside of the CB position, but he would rather get 3 solid to very good players like Murray, Matthews, and Jones instead of just 1 Olivier Vernon. He'll probably bring in a solid veteran or 2 and draft more.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Careful, there are people here who are dreaming of Reed being a diamond in the rough. I am sure it is just back luck that he was not able to make the team......... and that no one has signed him all year.

8. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

And there you have the crux of the problem in almost every game we have. We drafted Dodd to fix this - the second coming of Vonn Miller, but he's the second coming of JJ Watt with a bad back. I noticed in the game that late Lebeau had given up trying to get pressure with our front 7 and was blitzing Byard trying to get to Blakely but even that didn't work. We simply need more speed on this team. You don't need a 300 pounder to get to the QB, just anyone that can bother him and make him worry about the rusher instead of passing. Cunningham or someone like him would be a nice addition.

• Take a Chill Pill Take a Chill Pill x 1
  9. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

I believe Mularkey has the mindset that he trusts veterans more than young guys, but at some point you have to concede there is better talent to be had. This may be why he won't give DH more carries, or play Fowler more. We even play KW when McBride has a brighter future I think. Hopefully this mindset is changing with the release of Cox and bringing up new people.

10. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

We were 2nd in the league in sacks a few weeks ago, so I wouldn't say it has been a problem all season. But it does seem like some suspect QBs have either escaped pressure too often or for whatever reason the pressure wasn't getting there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar