Will Robinson blow up the secondary this off season???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirjesse

sirjesse Starter

Parrish Cox would have looked worse. but well.....you know.

2. kenny

kenny Starter

IMO, Sims has looked really good for his VERY limited in game experience. I do NOT think he will end up being a CB1. However, we have not had a real CB1 in TN for YEARS. McCourtey in his prime was still not a CB1 IMO. He was a decent tackler, but never played the ball well. Now, he is not a great tackler. It is time to move on. He is being paid far too much for what we are getting in return. If he will take a pay cut I am all about keeping him as leadership & a back up player. He just does not have what it takes to defend the fast WRs coming into the league anymore.

I would love to see JRob spend the money on a very good FA CB & take a couple in the draft. One very early & one maybe mid rounds. This is a position that has not been addressed properly for a very long time. We need new faces and the more the better. However, the new faces mean NOTHING; if they cannot cover & create turn overs.

I would not be shocked to see JRob spend on such a huge need. I would not be shocked to see him look to the draft. Ultimately the teams he has been with have spent big money WHEN they felt it was the best way to address the biggest need on their team. Looking back; NE spent big on Revis. Tampa spent on Verner. I think they turned out better on the draft of Hargraves than the FA spending on Verner. IMO Verner was a product of the system he played in; it suited his strengths. I think Verner would play well back in TN in the NB position. He is just not suited to play on the outside......Again, just my opinion. Not advocating for bringing him back as a starter, or for big money if he become available.

I would really like to see JRob take the approach of bringing in a more than solid FA; and draft a CB with one of our 1st round picks. I would say the top pick if the right guy is there.

3. RealestWhiteBoy

RealestWhiteBoy World Champion

I disagree, I thought our secondary did a great job for most of the day. They only gave up 1 play of 20 or more yards.

We gave up a 300 yard passing day, but it took him 55 drop backs to get there! Their average "yards to go" on their drop backs was 9.04 yards.

I was extremely impressed with the way our pass D stiffened. Way more than I expected to see out of them with Sanders and Thomas in town.

4. RealestWhiteBoy

By comparison, our average yards to go on the day was 8.1 ... a yard ahead of them all day. And we had 2 pass completions of 20+ yards.

5. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

DT and ILB. Has to happen.

6. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

It's scary when a team picks on your supposedly best defender, and ignores rookies.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. kenny

kenny Starter

I agree that the 2ndary played better than expected. However, it was "Way more than expected" for a reason. The secondary is almost always the reason we are in trouble on defense. I think it would be VERY optimistic to think they will continue to play that well. It would certainly be out of the norm for them.

We cannot keep the same personnel and expect the 2ndary to be good. It is an area that has needed huge upgrades for a very long time. One game where they play better than we thought they would will not change that opinion for me. I certainly hope it doesn't for Robinson.

We made some changes. If they keep playing well; maybe we do not need to "Blow it up". However, we certainly still need to upgrade. McCourtey played like his recent self, not great. He was picked on during this game for a reason. If he takes a pay cut, let him stay as vet leadership & back up. He cannot be counted on as a starter tho.

Sims was better than I expected with such limited playing time. He is young & has the traits to be a press man CB. A full off season & he could turn out to be an option. However we CANNOT go into ANOTHER season without guys who are really PUSHING each other for that starting spot at EVERY 2ndary position.

8. kenny

kenny Starter

The Pass Rush really helped out the secondary in this game as well. Morgan was on FIRE. He only got home once or twice (Can't remember), but he got something like 6 pressures with that. Add Orakpo, Wallace, & Klug in the QB's face & it really makes a BIG difference. Not to mention Byard coming on the Safety Blitz.

9. RealestWhiteBoy

We definitely need to address the secondary this offseason,and I'm certain we will ... we even started during the season, so we know they see the holes. Haha

I'm just saying for that game, I disagree that they looked horrible.

But the great news is there's 3 or 4 good corners set to go into free agency and a few great ones in the draft, and we will likely get our pick of DBs in the draft, too. Going to be another exciting offseason, for sure.

10. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Sidney Jones from Washington is a CB I really like

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar