Will history repeat itself? (McNair vs Locker)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans23, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I believe it was in his third year when the Chargers gave up on Drew Brees.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. crypta333

crypta333 Starter

God I hope not. I admired McNair for his toughness and making plays with his legs when everything broke down but his accuracy wasn't all that good. For once it would be nice to have a qb that does'nt over/under throw receivers. And to be fair receivers that can freakin catch a ball that is throw right to them lol. And Locker has the legs to make plays too, but I don't think he would last taking some of the hits Mcnair took and still be able to play. I'm fine with locker and think he could be a good qb for us if he can get his accuracy up. but also to be fair to Locker, from some of the games I watched over the weekend, there have been a lot of qbs missing their targets lately. my baseless opinion.

3. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

A mediocre QB does not get nominated for the HOF!

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Agreed. I've honestly been very unimpressed by the QB play this year save for a few guys. Jake looks no worse a lot of QBs I consider good like Dalton, RG3, and Kaepernick and he's played just as good if not better defenses. There are a lot of factors that make me pump my breaks when it comes to ditching Jake.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. Chance9

Chance9 Starter

Nobody is talking him up because of the "dead thing" that's a stupid comment people around the league and many fans will tell you he was an UNDERATED player during his time.. You don't win MVPs from being good, you also don't get nominated for HOF from being simply good.. You don't give the man enough credit for the things he overcame. He moved around with the team before having a permanent home in Nashville, he never had an outstanding game breaking WR that many of qbs you think we're "great" had.McNair lifted the entire team and carried them on his back. That's something a great player does

6. Titans23

Titans23 Starter

Reaching huh? Much like you reaching that we would of went to the SuperBowl without McNair? As others and myself already pointed out, mediocre QB's don't get elected to the HOF. That is not easy to do.

On another note, McNair got better every year from 98 to 04, which was when he started battling injuries and had the team around him collapse from a salary cap purge. As you admit, he became a "good" (I'd say great) QB in those years. I never even said Locker would be just like McNair, my point was about the time it take for a QB to develop, especially when they are in a run first offense and don't get to throw the ball 40-50 times a game. Hell even I doubt Locker some at this point but if (and its a big if) he can become more consistent and Loggains lets him throw the ball around he could develop into a very good QB. He probably has better physical skills than McNair had but he doesn't have the battle mentality, toughness, or win no matter what attitude yet. You missed the whole point of this thread which is not to say Locker will be like McNair from a stat or player standpoint but from a standpoint of the fact it takes time for QB's to DEVELOP!

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

First of all, if Steve McNair was never a Titan- this comparison would never be made.

So sorry for thinking it's a silly comparison since that's ALL it's based on. Oh wait. That's because it IS silly. (I use the word silly in order to not be offensive)

Data? lol Oh. The 3rd year start thing... well, that sure is deep analysis. I get it now! Now the comparison totally makes sense! I mean... both started in their 3rd season! Basically clones!!!

wtf. I wont address the "data" because it's a total REACH by a Titans fan that doesn't watch enough football outside of his own favorite team, therefore any QB that sucks his first few years he'll compare to Steve McNair as if it means they'll only be bad for a few seasons, then blossom into a co-MVP type player. Riiight.

All true. Which is what made him likable- and good. Not great.

Indeed, indeed.

8. Deuce Wayne

Underrated?? He was overrated by Titans fans- he was fairly rated by NFL fans.

He was merely a "good player". Sorry, bro. That's the truth. He had 2 really good seasons. The rest? Very average.

And yes, him getting killed elevated his status. All tragic stories do this with celebrities.

He's the Tupac of football. Was Tupac good? Yes. Did he become insanely overrated the moment he was announced dead? God yes.

9. Deuce Wayne

I don't KNOW that we wouldn't have made the SB without him. I just suspect pretty much any QB would have been able to manage well enough with that team of 9 pro-bowlers to get there.

Let's keep in mind- it was a MIRACLE that we made it- and McNair wasn't involved in that miracle.

I get the "taking time" thing, but this is a new NFL.

You don't waste 5 seasons waiting on a QB that clearly doesn't have "it".

Jake doesn't have it. Clearly.

Will he ever be good? Maybe. Good. But "good" is his ceiling.

So we should continue tanking seasons "hoping" he'll eventually be.... good?

Top 15 maybe?

It's not worth it. When instead you can draft a QB to come in like a Russell Wilson, RG3, Kaepernick, Luck, etc etc etc etc and skip the half decade wait.

Which makes more sense?

And then IF Jake actually does something- you have 2 good QBs on the roster. You can always trade one.

10. John Simpson

John Simpson Camp Fodder

That is your opinion that Jake does not have "it" - Jake is a clubhouse leader and his teammates love him. If Jake hits the one pass to Britt this entire thread is different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar