Will Dungy want NFLPA liaison post?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky </em> <p>How will Tony Dungy respond to <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3985403" target="_blank">an invitation</a> from new NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith to serve as a liaison between the players and the league?</p> <p>Some thoughts on the subject:</p> <ul> <li>Would Smith have allowed word of this to get out so quickly if Dungy wasn't OK with it? I seriously doubt it. Is he was smart enough to get elected to the position, he's smart enough to control his early message. So I cannot imagine this is just an early trial balloon. But even if Smith has already talked this through with Dungy, that doesn't mean it'll be a yes. It could mean he's fine with Smith attaching his name to a good idea even if he's undecided or if he has no plans to take it.</li> <li>Is this a great role for Dungy? I think it's a great role for someone, and Dungy's temperament would be perfect. But when he retired, Dungy indicated he would be seeking to direct his energies somewhere other than football. If he wanted to be in football, he already had an excellent gig. While this new post would certainly be influential, I don't imagine it would be gratifying work on its own for a guy determined to make a difference with young men. But if it's a part-time role, perhaps it would serve to keep him connected.</li> </ul> <p>It will be interesting to see what comes of it, and how soon.</p>

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar