Will CJ get a new contract?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by tenforthewin, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

Do you think the Titans will work with CJ on a new deal, or will they let him sit out this season with no new deal. I think this time he would definately sit out without a new contract, he said as much before last season. Titans are known for being cheap, but I feel like they need CJ more than ever with a new rookie QB. He's slated to make 800K this year, which is less than peanuts for a guy CJ's caliber. This might be one guy they actually want to pay

So, will CJ get a new contract?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think the Titans will want to begin discussions of something long-term once the CBA is set. Whether or not CJ is willing to come to camp (assuming there is one) without a deal in place is the big question.

3. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

It's going to be funny when they give the patented "He's under contract, we expect him to be here" line. Lol fat chance.

4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

If this thing draws out any at all, I bet CJ will be broke. Broke people are often more willing to work for less than they feel they deserve...

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I brought this up last year and was roasted for it. I see trouble on the horizon. I think the two sides are probably still quite a ways apart as far as contract numbers go. Unless CJ got a large dose of reality, I simply can't see the Titans paying him what he thinks he's worth.

6. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

What do you think he's worth?

7. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

I'd say he's worth 6-7 mil a year, plus incentives. Front load the contract. RBs aren't as important as they used to be, but he's our best player so he should be taken care of. I think he wants a pretty big payday, so we'll have to see.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

If I were C.J., I'd be in camp on time. What better way to prove to the new coach you're a team guy, than to finally be around... Munchak & Reinfeldt seem like the kind of bosses who will show you love once you simply do your job. Unlike past extensions given in TN, C.J.'s resume is like no other. His production can NOT be matched. I don't see any other RB's who can regularly take a 4-yard play 72-yards for a TD.

I mean how hard can his next deal be to make? Simply take the most expensive RB contract that's out there, and add a few bucks. Financially it hurts us, and takes away from the pot of money we pay others with, but he's 1 in a million player, and if used right, will finish with record breaking numbers.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

He obviously deserves a new deal. He's a Top-5 RB easily.. and isn't even earning a million for his base salary. I say sign him on a multi-year deal, he's got another 4-5 years atleast. Hopefully he doesn't get lazy after a payday.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

He'll want the top contract in the league. In '08, Steven Jackson signed a six-year, $48.5 million deal. MJD signed a five-year deal worth $31 million with $17.5 million signing bonus in '09.

I'm guessing CJ will cost something like six-years, $55 mil with $20 mil SB. If the Titans structure it so that the base is low the first three seasons, then you have a situation where the Titans can have CJ for around $8.5 mil a year and a big decision to make in 2014. They could also do something similar as they did Young in having a big bonus kick in after that third season.

You could also see bonus tied to performance. Jackson could void the final two years of his contract if he met certain incentives (1,200 rush/400 rec). I could see the same kind of thing for CJ.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar