Wildcat in Tennessee?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If VY is in at QB then it is not a true wildcat. He is a QB. Want to bring him in just for some designed running plays that is fine but that is not a wildcat!

A wildcat means that whomever is QB goes in motion outside and essentially becomes a WR. That means that a RB has to take the snap. Do we have a RB with good enough hands to take a shotgun like snap? No! Do we have a rb who is any kind of threat to throw the ball? So we have a WR who used to be a star QB in college like randall el? No! No!

So WTF are we talking about here?

The only advantage of the wildcat is that by getting the QB out of box and replacing him with another player there you essentially have an extra blocker in the box. But again who is going to run it?

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I read the posts of those who seem to advocate some idea of a wildcat and i get the impression some of you don't know what that is.

When the dolphins ran it they started off with normal personnel but then shifted into a formation that had their QB pennington lined out wide and ronnie brown taking the snap. Brown has good hands and can throw the ball a little bit but primarily and almost totally it is a run formation. So who would be our ronnie brown?

Lining up vince young in a shotgun is not a wildcat.

Why does the wildcat work? Because you are replacing a QB who normally just hands off and watches on a running play with a blocker whether it is a heavy set with an extra TE or a big WR like britt you end up blocking 7 guys with 8 and that is the whole idea of it.

For the dolphins they basically lined up in a heavy set with an extra RB(Ricky williams) who was the extra blocker.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well maybe it wouldn't officially be a wildcat since Vince is a QB, but at least it would get him involved using his best strength.

I don't know how accurate this wiki article is, but seems there are some other key characteristics besides "running back takes the snap".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat_offense

We could have CJ run the wildcat with the option to handoff or run. I guess he could throw if a WR is wide open.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The RB taking the snap is the only way it has been used in the NFL. Arkansas basically played mcfadden at QB at arkansas and called that a wildcat but it is the same thing.

If the guy who takes the snap is the one running with the ball you have an extra blocker.

I have no problem with vince playing a series a game to give the opposition something to think about and prepare for but it makes no sense to use a QB in the red zone who is not deemed to be good enough to use in between the 20s. We were among the best teams in the league last year in the red zone so why change that?

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think the most important thing about it is creating confusion on which way the ball will be ran.

That's the main thing I was saying with VY... with him, LW, CJ all in on a play that should create major confusion for defenses.

He's been good enough to move us between the 20s before, with much less talent.

Fair enough, as long as it keeps up this season. And I vote CJ and LW were the most important reasons we were among the best in the red zone.

And just to clarify, I don't mean for Vince to attempt EVERY red-zone offense we lead. Just that a Vince red zone package that we used occasionally would be cool.

And if it fails, scrap it quickly. If it works, it's just another trick we can use on offense late in the season and in the postseason.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar