Why?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big Time Titan, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

Just like my Daddy, I played baseball and cared little for football. I can remember saying " There ain't nuthin on but football!" Of course this was a long time ago when there was only three TV stations you could get without cable, which was not available then in Waverly Tn.
    High school football was fun cause you got to talk to girls in the stands. I did not care enough about it to learn the rules.
    I played baseball until I moved to Nashville to school, and then I played about 7 years on a semi pro team, which I am not sure even exists now. There was nothing pro about it, I never made a dime.
    But I watched one day and I got to see the MCM. I thought it was very slick
    ( cool ) and I started watching and learning the rules. I found out it was not just a game of smear the ( you know ) that we played as kids. There was a lot of strategy and planning as well as athleticism. I have loved the team ever since.
    On a good note, I figured I might as well check out the preds before I had preconceived notions, and I have since been to several games and love to watch them also.
    Besides Steve's death, and departure from our team, I really dreaded the day Eddie left. I knew his days were numbered, but he just had no business going to the Cowgirls.I remember writing him a letter and sending it to Baptist sports center. I did not even address it, because I told him I was not sending it in order to get an autograph. He left anyway, had a good game or two and was misused for his type of running. He was not known to break the big run.
    Anyway, the titans are a fun thing for me to cheer for, I love it when they win, and I have a bad Monday after a loss.

To sum it up, the Music City Miracle was what got me interested enough to start learning more, and I have only missed seeing one game since.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I was an Oiler fan, first NFL player I ever saw was Warren Moon. My Dad and brother are 49er fans, but I was an Oiler fan.
    Being international, it was hard to stay up to date with Oiler news, usually there was a late night game on TV around midnight and the most I saw of the Oilers was a couple of highlight reels.
    The team moved to Tennessee but that didn't bother me as they didn't move from my state to another state. The team didn't abandon me.

What keeps me coming back? I love the sport, I love the team, I love the players and I love the fans. I visited 3 years ago and the guys and gals I met were fantastic people.

3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

at least u guys live in a football county. i live in well a different one. soccer is great but football is more my sport. im a bigger guy, used to play te and was moved to qb back the day - tag and what not.

anyway on the point - i am a crazy titan fan - i cant miss a minute and not sure y. absolute no relation to tenn or housten. i got family living in DC/Jersey/San Fran really all over the US and i go there quite a bit - f the skins the g-men and the 9ers.....

GIVE ME MY TITANS SOME BEER N MY WINGS

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I do remember how horrible it was to see Eddie leave and not just that to go to Dallas made it even worse. When Steve was shutout and shipped out of town I felt really cheated by the guys upstairs. But even through it all I always have and always will root for this team.

5. iQon

iQon Starter

My first Titans games sold me. The Super Bowl and the opening season game the next year against the Bills.

They lost both, but they showed so much heart that I fell in love with them. It seems like the Titans will always be overlooked. But those games, as well as seasons like 04, 07 and this year? It's once in a lifetime for most franchises to overcome this kind of adversity, and here we are again. It's rewarding to see them win under these circumstances.

That alone, is a reason why I will never abandon this team regardless of who comes and goes....... wouldn't mind us eventually having an explosive offense though. Just one year where we put up 30 a game!

6. Stephenson

Stephenson Camp Fodder

I loved playing Jr. All American. The playoff games were always in the Ghetto though. I played playoff night games in Compton, Inglewood, and Baldwin Hills.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Right on. Even through all the adversity he were are in the mix again. I have a lot of faith in this team and as long as we take care of our own business on the field, other things will fall into place for us. (Like Pitt, Balt, Jax & Hou all falling apart)

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I feel the same way. Drafting Vince was like the organization fulfilling Steve's wishes, for me, in naming his heir apparent. Passing the torch, and all that. Especially after the disappointment of 2004, 2005 and the 2006 offseason Then we drafted Chris Johnson, and it was like Steve and Eddie 2.0. It's why I could never truly give up on Vince.

I feel like it's providence that this team finally wins it all soon. I have the same hope I did from 1999-2004 all over again.

9. Beaudreaux

Beaudreaux Starter

Wow, thanks for the thread. Like a couple other folks here I live in the Houston area and have been a fan for decades. My dad used to take me to the games in the Astrodome starting in the early 70's, and since he owned his own business and traveled frequently, it was some of the best times we had together. I was born in 63 and remember many of the games as I was 9 or 10 when we went to our first games. Anyone as a fan that made it through the 1970's and remained a fan, will most likely always be on. Doesn't get much worse than some of those seasons. I remember my dad yelling when they scored a td or made a great defensive play on tv, and catch myself doing the exact same thing, with my kids staring at me like I'm crazy. One of the Oilers managers Carroll Martin also worked with my dad and we heard some great stories.

My dad passed this summer, and I still think of him when the team is playing, something we'll always share as long as I live. Even though I catch hell from Texans fans, get called a traitor, etc etc, I will be a Titans fan until I get to see my dad again.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. OhioTitan

OhioTitan GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Living in central Ohio, i grew up i die hard buckeye fan. For some reason i never had a favorite pro team though. Just as i was old enough to start understanding football, Eddie came to Ohio State. i fell in love with him there. Once he left and was drafted by the Oilers i followed him there. Being from ohio the move to Tennessee didn't really affect me much. while watching him i became attached to McNair and everyone else. once he went to Dallas i almost followed him and became a Cowboys fan but something about this organization kept me here and i am a die hard Titans fan now. It kinda sucks living literally half way between Indianapolis and Pittsburgh because everyone around me is a fan of one of those two but i'll never stop rooting for this team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar