Why you should not be a fan of Steve McNair anymore

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Broken Record, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I think most of us would have made the same choice Steve did. It is his career, his livelihood, and his professional goals. Eddie wasn't offered anywhere close the money Steve got- so I won't draw a parallel.

IMO Steve is being less than honest (or diplomatic as always) when he offers "comforting words" like he did in the Tennessean today.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060612/SPORTS01/606120358/1027

Money and his belief that his best shot at a super bowl ring is with the Ravens. That is the summary of the reasons he chose to leave. The Steve McNair I had made in my mind would have said no to the deal and stuck with us with the belief that THE TITANS were his best chance at the super bowl.

We all get a little more real as we get older. It hurts to see Steve's reality doesn't include us except for his "retirement". I'm not sure I can support any of his retirement enterprises in the Nashville area.

2. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

How we look at it in the future depends on how events unfold.
    We can look at EG, a player wanting to compete beyond the role he felt likely as a Titan. One lackluster season later, now where is he?

If McNair has a few seasons left, we will look at it differently than if he has a medicore to bad season, after which he is backing up (excuse me,... mentoring) Boller rather than Young.

3. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

While I'm all on board for the loyalty-thing (team first, etc), you can't fault a guy who's not going to be able to continue his career past his MID-30's(!!) for wanting one more big payday. The guy's going to retire at age 35-36...Anyways, I'll still root for him when he's not playing us. That's just the gentlemanly thing to do.

When he IS playing us, I expect him to throw 4 INTs and get sacked by KVB at least 3 times.

4. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Excellent points all around, but I stand by my decision to no longer be a fan of McNair until he comes back here to retire.
    Thanks for letting me vent. This will be my last post about this situation. Time to close the door and move on.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Some good points on here, both about McNair's reasons for leaving, and a potential reason why he hasn't been playing as well the last two years. It would make more sense that he would be more motivated coming onto a new team. I understand the nature of the competitive drive, wanting to prove yourself, and that that is part of being a champion, a warrior, and many of the other things that Steve is. I think the problem for all high-level atheletes is the transition between having to prove yourself, and figuring out what will be important to your life in the long term. Maybe he really thinks he can win a superbowl with Baltimore, and I'm sure that's been a lifetime goal of his. True, he's had a heck of a career here, but do you all remember the headline the day after he got MVP? "Lombardi trophy next for McNair." He's had his eye on it a long time, and it's not hard for me to believe that that's the real reason. If he'd won the Superbowl with us, one more freaking yard, then I'd bet he'd stay. There would be no professional goal that he hadn't been able to obtain here. But we didn't win, he didn't get it, and I think that drive to do as much as he can, as was mentioned in that article a week ago posted by TJ I think, besides being responsible for making him a true leader, is also responsible for his willingness to go to baltimore.

6. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

This is the "only" reason why u should forget about Mac

[​IMG]

There it is:brow:

7. Canadian Titan

Canadian Titan VY & CJ = New SM & EG

I wish Steve well with the Ravens, they are a good team but I don't think they have enough to win the Super Bowl.

In the long run, Titans will be better than the Ravens, don't hate the Ravens just yet!

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I've had exes who talk less trash then some of you guys. Some of y'all sound really hurt and bitter. This is a business; let it go. :sad2:

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

10. maximus

maximus Starter

Thats a sweet desktop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar