Why you should not be a fan of Steve McNair anymore

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Broken Record, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Man, I loved Steve McNair. That guy came out on the field and gave it everything. If it was 3rd and 6 and everyone was covered on a called pass play, Steve would just go out and get it himself. He was the epitome of a team player. He would take the lick to move the ball. Steve is absolutely my favorite kind of quarterback and I've always been proud to have him in Tennessee.

Let's look at this recent decision, though. First off, let me say that I realize the business side of things and I fully understand that money makes the world go 'round.... but how much money does it take to make the world go 'round? Is it $1 million dollars? How about $5 million dollars? What about $10 million? With $10 million you could earn around $400,000 per year in interest if you had it all invested wisely... Let's get up to a realistic level... $50 million dollars. The Titans have paid McNair $50 million dollars. 50 times more than any jerk who won Survivor ever got.

This is enough money to take someone off the farm in Mississippi and set them, their children, their grand children and their great grandchildren up for life with the right financial advice. Not only set them up, but make them extremely wealthy.

Yeah, sure, you're not Bill Gates, but you've got enough money to take care of a couple generations of your kin folk after you die. How much more do you need?

Now we throw Vince Young into the equation. McNair had a choice to mentor a young man who is apparently very important to him. He's been called a father figure to Young. Young even referred to him as "pop" or something like that in a recent interview.

This seems like an ideal situation. Start for one, possibly two more years, teach your protege... the guy everyone says will be the future Steve. The evolution of Steve. How much is that worth to you? Are you really concerned about the third generation you might support?

So your choice is to stick around, help Vince kick off his career in style, take a slight credibility hit (maybe) and give props to the colors who have supported you for 11 years or go to your most hated enemy, dump your protege and pocket a little extra cash.... you choose the latter?

I'm very disappointed. I can't believe that I had to sit and watch you hold up the purple and black. Everything that you fought against. Just so you could pocket a little extra cash. That is pitiful Steve. You should be ashamed.

God bless the Bus.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]
    Vader feels the same way. The lockout was all a reaction to Bus Cook. He was trying to force our hand and we did what we had to do to protect our interests. Meanwhile he did everything possible to exacerbate the situation. There is no telling what kind of lies he fed Steve. Steve is big on respect I hear. I wonder how he looks in the mirror. Steve is going to get pushed out of the blackbird nest just as soon as he delievers that high draft spot. Steve did blow the chance to live forever here. Unless he takes Baltimore to a Super Bowl win, there isn't enough money in the world to make him happy. One day he will be drunk in a bar room with Eddie George comiserating on how they both fagged out on that promise they made to eachother... that is to never leave Nashville without that SB win.

Good post Broken Record.

3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Ouch, good post, and very insightful. I remember the first years of Eddie and Steve vividly in Oiler Blue and the way they played the game, it's a shame it all comes down to money. They would've gone their graves as the best Titans ever.

4. MacNine

MacNine Starter

Nice post. My only argument is that the Titans didn't want him for more than 1 year. He feels he can play 2 maybe 3 years and the Titans only wanted him for one.

At the end of the day, these guys have a lot of pride and ego. Baltimore made him feel wanted, pursued him and gave him the money. The Titans low balled him, locked him out and treated him like an outcast.

I am disappointed in the turn of events, but McNair did what he felt was best for him and so did the Titans. Time will tell.

5. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Well, I have to restate my belief here and that is it wasn't about money or playing time. Steve simply didn't believe he could get back to a Superbowl in Tennessee. That is why I cannot be a McNair fan anymore. Because he abandoned the team and the FANS. Yes, Bus cook I'm sure planted these ideas in Steves head. It really kind of shows a different side to MAC and that's why it's hard for a lot of fans the believe it. He was DISLOYAL!

6. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

As far as the mentoring goes.....he apparently had no interest. This after talking about Chandler treating him like crap his rookie year and being no mentor at all.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

When you sign a six year deal and take a NOD type role on the back end you might as well believe in magic bullets. What difference does it make to Steve what year exactly he got back to the Super Bowl? He would have been our starter and he could have had spot duty forever. He could have had an intangible effect on Young... A type of influence I can not even express... McNair could have "made" Vince. Bus had to go and :banned::cuss:it up so he could make a payment on his yacht.
    No... PRIDE. GREED. LIES!

LIES! LIES! LIES!

Steve is only human. Sorry kids.

Bus Cook is going to burn in hell.

[​IMG]

8. twoseven

twoseven Camp Fodder

All of this is why i dont think Mcnair and Vince are very close , if he was a like a father to Vince why wouldnt he stay and teach him , heck , he has made millions . so it cant be a money issue.

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

didn't Jay Cutler sign with Bus Cook? sorry SOB.

And SEC, don't kid yourself, Bus Cook ain't got no damn Yacht, the Mofo can't swim. He had to make sure he paid off all of his debt from back in the day of swindling people and getting caught.

10. I'm still a McNair fan, though I'm still hoping for the Ravens to go 0-16. He wants to keep playing past this year and I can't blame him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar