Why you hate that new album

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by avvie, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Dunno if I've posted this topic before, but here's some good information for all you music fans who might be wondering why you're not enjoying it like you used to.

I bring this up because a few years ago I sat down to a listening bar to check out Rush's "Vapor Trails". Some riffs caught my attention, but I kept skipping to the next song after about 20 seconds. By the end of the album, I realised that I hated it, but couldn't quite understand why. Now I know:

http://www.austin360.com/music/content/music/stories/xl/2006/09/28cover.html

A reaffirmation:
    http://music.guardian.co.uk/pop/story/0,,1992465,00.html

When it gets to the technical part, here is a picture of what is described...
    One the left, Bowling For Soup's "High School Never Ends"
    On the right, Canned Heat's "Let's Work Together"

[​IMG]

This kind of dynamic extreme will make your iTunes go nuts.

2. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

I haven't experienced this yet, and I've bought plenty of new albums lately. Is this mainly in rock music or something?

3. avvie

Pretty much in the rock/pop genres. I doubt it's a problem in R&B or country, since that music is dependant upon sound clarity. I've heard a LOT of rap that has serious compression problems.
    I'm betting the whole problem started with heavy metal in the 80's --"louder is better".

I noticed it recently with C. Aguilera's "Ain't No Other Man" and Gnarles Barkley's "Crazy"...I like both songs, but can't stand hearing them.

I should note here that this is also a mistake that I've made myself several times before getting "enlightened". It's easy to get caught up in trying to squeeze as much sound out as you can.

4. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

I bet you it's big with all the pop-rap. (Chain Hang Low):barf:

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Interesting stuff avvie.

I like a lot of music that I listen to on the radio in the car,yet when I play it on the suround sound at home I don't really enjoy listening to a lot of it.

The sound I enjoy the most is often from bands that have a lead singer,drums,1 bass & 1 guitar.

Stone Temple Pilots,Audioslave,Stereophonics,Chili Peppers etc. I rarely tire of listening to those kind of sounds. It's interesting what was said about Californication because I played it to death. I also play music a little too loud for the Mrs' to be comfortable listening to.

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I've noticed with popular hip-hop albums on the stereo. I've actually read about this a few times, and it does appear in almost every music genre where sound needs to appear amplified. So it does actually appear in hiphop/rnb.

I tend to like my music fairly loud, but I have noticed that listening to albums on my stereo with the subs on and the volume loud, that I simpily can't sit through many songs I would replay on my computer or iPod. Thanks for posting Avvie.

7. avvie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar