Why we played our starters so long last night.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think we had to start our first string longer because we didn't learn anything about the offense in the first week of the preseason. This preseason, much like last year, was mismanaged, which is why we still have no idea who will be kept on the roster, let alone who will start.

My bitterness aside, I like the point about having this team ready to go for the first three weeks, knowing we will have an early rest point with the bye week in week 4. I hope that was part of the plan, and I hope we're ready.

2. moose4now

moose4now Starter

I hope you're right. :winker:

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Explain to me, team-by-team, why we can't win each of those first 3 games.

I believe we can. I'm not saying 3-0 is in the bag, but it is achievable. This is a good football team. 12 months ago we went 0-5 to start the season, and it surprised no-one. We are substantially better.

We have proven we have the parts to fit the style of football Fisher wants to play. We can - and will - run the football A LOT. And we will run the football well. The threat of Vince rolling out and picking up yards on the ground keeps OLB and DE's honest and helps our inside running game a heap. With Lendale pounding it inside we can control the clock.

We won't blow teams away. But we will be in a lot of close games. And in close games, our ability to run the ball, get some big plays from our QB and force turnovers on defense will be the difference.

Our run defense is showing signs of being substantially better than it was last year, and that was the predominant reason we didn't go to the playoffs.

I'm drinking the kool-aid.

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I don't understand this comment at all. I'm pretty sure the FO know exactly who is going to be kept and who'll be let go, and I'd suggest the depth chart (in the minds of the coaching staff) is pretty much locked down. The fact that the general public doesn't know yet means nothing.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Exactly - and we saw the signs last preseason - had a horrible run D, and the passing O was embarrassing. So far it looks like we've improved in all phases other than special teams. VY's completing passes and not making mistakes. Lendale is picking up tough yards (and in fairness Brown has also). Run D is stifling. Pass D is still weak, but better than last year. Pass rush is better than last year, which will help the secondary.

This is a good team - not SB ready by a long shot, but 5 months ago they appeared to be in big trouble. Almost every question has been answered since then. A bad version of this team beat 3 playoff bound teams down the stretch last year. And we've improved dramatically.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO even if we are 1-2 after the first three games as long as we aren't getting blown out of the water or something we can still make the playoffs. The only start that really hurts us is 0-3. Saying we will win all three is a little ridiculous but not impossible. I'd be more than happy with 2-1, those are three very tough games and if we can win 2 of 3 against the tougher teams we are a playoff team as long as we beat teams we are supposed to beat (like the Texans).

7. TitanFan4Life

TitanFan4Life Stronger Than K-Bulluck

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :guzzle:

wow.. we are substantially worse.. we have the most overrated QB in the league who cant pass to save his life for one. he is a great runner, but he is no QB that will lead us to beating teams like the colts, jags, and saints!!!

we went 0-5 last year and we are 10x worse this year lmao..

no bennett, no henry, no pacman, there were our 3 best players....

who did we get to replace them? c-hen who is gonna be inactive? some crappy unknown wideouts?? i like davis but he blows

jags.. maurice jones-drew.. my favorite player in the league.. will have about 200 yards rushing, 150 yards receiving, 200 return.. 5 TD's. book it. draft him in your fantasy leagues boys, he is gonna romp us.

jags 40 titans 3

colts.. they have peyton manning who shreads us every year and that was with pacman an allpro CB. with him gone we have harper who we all know cant cover starvin marvin.. dont make me post the video...

wayne is a beast and so is anthony gonzo .. respect ryanstitans.

Peyton will light us up for 6. 3 to wayne, 2 to marvin, 1 to gonzo for about 560 yds. Draft him too.

Colts 42 titans 20. oh yea, vince will rush for 2 tds in this game but throw 3 pix

saints

can you say colston, reggie bush, drew brees? i can see about 300 combined yards 3 TD's for bush. draft him too fellas.

saints 49- titans 10

0-3

8. stillmatic23

stillmatic23 Guest

This right here proves my case of people shooting down postitve peoples opinions. Why would you say your own team cant go 3-0 Lolol. shakes my head and walks away :moon2:

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

we beat both the jags and the colts last year.....

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Uh ok.

I made the comment because it's true.

Last offseason, we made the moronic move with Volek to SD and bringing in Collins last second to be the starter. All from something Volek said BEFORE preseason began. I don't know how you look at it, but it was poor preseason management to me, that cost us the beginning of the season last year. (And let's not forget the other blunders from last offseason... McNair)

This year, YOU are pretty sure the FO and coaching staff knows who we are going to keep and let go... but that isn't the statement Fisher made to the media. Now maybe Fisher is just saying that, but I don't think so. To me, it would've been nice to have the STARTERS for the opener named before last nights game. Seems to me there was still debate on who the Titans keep... Moulds, Gage, Roby? One will probably go. One of the others may start. Who knows? I sure wish everyone knew, because that would mean Vince truly developed good chemistry with at least one WR in the preseason, but I don't think thats happened, partially because Vince didn't even play in the first game.

I'm just saying, from my perspective, I would want things done differently if this were my team or I had some say-so. I don't, and hopefully things will work out, but I haven't been very fond of the way the Titans prepare for the start of the season for awhile now. Maybe that's why we normally start slow?

At Jax is gonna be a tough home opener, I hope we are ready, but I fear we are not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar