Why Mike Munchak will be coaching this team in 2014

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RavensShallBurn, Dec 20, 2013.

?
  1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    72.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

You just mad I'm right and Munch will be back.

It's gonna be hilarious when December 30 rolls around and Munch still has a job. I don't know how you guys don't expect this, seeing as we are the Titans. We're an abnormality in this league... we're the only team you can miss the playoffs three years in a row and still keep a job with.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I can see how you think this but I think there are several other factors involved as well and it's hard to have a winning season when your starting QB only plays 6 games and that's more like 5 and 1/2.

Reasons to keep Munch. Team has statistically improved. Players haven't quit...even down 17 points with 6mins to go with no one in the stands and playoffs pretty much out of reach. Team was a winning team with Locker. Team played a lot of close games so quite competitive (except 49er's and 2nd half of Denver). Hard to win with a backup QB who throws 13 TD's versus 12 turnovers (and 7 more fumbles we didn't lose but killed drives).

Reasons to dump Munch. Losing record...period. No playoffs...period. Defense has failed us late in several of the close games! Good teams find a way to win...we find ways to lose! Two Hall of Fame OL coaches have a lot of talent to work with and yet we sometimes get manhandled at the line! Will the Offense ever get over the hump with more of our talent on that side of the ball? Will the D ever be top 10?

I could easily see this both ways. The big question missing is WHO is available to be BETTER then Much).

I could see Rex Ryan after NY dumps him!

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Hey! I was there

just sayin'

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't consider statistical improvement while still losing any reason at all to retain any coach.

The record against our division is horrible. The record against good teams is horrible. We have only won 11 of our last 30 games.

11-19 over the last 2 seasons, 2-8 in our last 10 games suggests to me that we are only worse under this coach and not building on anything.

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I still take what Wyatt said over Mort.

6. bassplyr

bassplyr Starter

Where the argument to keep Munchak falls apart is that this won;t be the same team next year. In all likelihood CJ is gone, Locker will be under real pressure again - even Munchak is publicly questioning his durability, and we will lose some key contributors to this years "improvement" - Pollard and Verner.

This team lacks identity because the HC has no identity. Munchak is not coming from a position of having a strong, well developed system on either side of the ball. Instead, he has let his coordinators try and establish the respective identities. Unfortunately, neither of our coordinators are competent enough to do that. Loggains and Gray have terribly ineffective. Even adding Williams to the defense has only provided statistical improvement - no real effect on the ability to win games.

If Munchak stays, he can't do it without another overhaul and upgrade of the staff. I can't see high quality coaches coming here for a lame duck HC. Hopefully, Tommy can see the inevitability of making the change and will do it sooner rather than later.

If the team loses to either Jax or the Texans, or both - I think it is much more likely he goes this season.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Losing to the Jags in Jax...given how they have been playing...will not likely get Munch fired. Losing to the Texans at home...a team that is in disarray and has not been playing better...that will have Munch fired by Monday I believe.

I think Tommy feels pressure to carry out Bud's drive to get to a SB again and soon. I think the Oiler apron strings were cut when Bud died. Tommy will protect the family's business and watching fans vacate the team will take precedent over some oiler loyalty. Time to deliver or time to do it with someone else.

All that being said...do I think he may be back....sure. I think both he and Locker may be on their final year of produce or leave. They spent a lot of money this offseason and may feel it will take one more year to get the group, mainly the Oline, to gel.

I do think they need to change coaching at minimum at Oline, ST and LB positions. Making those separations may actually help Munch keep his job.

Our run game will be just as good with Greene and a decent draft pick or cheap FA as it is with CJ so him leaving will be no loss. Just hope he goes somewhere outside the division as I don't want to be on the wrong end of him going to a team that knows how to run block.

Next 2-3 weeks will either be interesting or frustrating....

8. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

you make very valid and excellent points but lets say we do well enough next year with improvements and we resign locker and munch, then we aren't going anywhere for a while. Locker and Munch era needs to be finished for this team to start fresh, we need competent coordinators on both sides of the ball with a great leader at qb and coach. Loggains and Gray should be out too with Munch on the unemployment line with locker right behind them! If we let them all go, I don't think any of them will play or be in the nfl again!

9. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

So do I **** YOU. LOL, actually I agree he will be brought back, also, I predict the stadium will be half full next season as a result. Tired of the same ol', same ol'. FIRE EVERYBODY.

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I still just can't find any reason good enough for keeping Munch. If Tommy Boy is this business man everyone says he is then it should be a no brainer to kick him to the curb. Fan morale is at an all-time low. SO many people talking about giving up their PSL's. It's simply never been this bad. Not even after back-to-back 4 and 5 win seasons.

Another angle in this that no one is really looking at is Tommy Boy's own ego and desire to put his stamp on this franchise. If keeping the scrub Mike Munchak goes down as his first major decision with the team then that would be a pretty real terrible first impression with the fans. He would be viewed/labeled as "Bud Jr." and that reputation would most likely stick for quite awhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar