Why Mariota & Winston are languishing in year 2

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanium, Oct 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think they are crap but I don't think they have the burst/quickness needed to get separation and/or the skill needed to get position and consistently bring down anything less than the perfect pass.

Part of the blame is that the Titans don't have anyone on the outside with the speed/ability to keep teams from putting eight (or nine) in the box.

I've not rewatched a lot of games this year but, under Whiz, the Titans often used a mesh concept with two TEs that included crossing routes.

I'd like to see more crossing "picks" with Wright/Walker getting enough separation to have a chance for yards after the catch.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

Titans offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie on Kendall Wright's first game back from hamstring injury:"Rusty, rusty, rusty." First route called for 6 yards and he went 3. Very next play called for 6 yards and he went 1."

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Who are these "it" sexy coaching hires that work out? Josh McDaniel was a horrible head coach who traded up to get Tim Tebow. Joe Philbin was another who failed to win games and turn a young QB into a star. Marc Trestman was another of these offensive genius types who failed with the Bears.

So far Adam Gase the young genius is 1-2 and about to go 1-3.

I'm not going to blame the coaching staffs of the 2 teams just because they were not sexy hires. We all know the titans are hamstrung somewhat with our lack of quality WRs and injuries.

I would wait until 10 games in to summarily say that Mularcky-Robiske are the reason our offense is struggling. Hopefully Wright and Walker can stay healthy and perhaps things can gel somewhat.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

People can argue that Robiskie has been out of the loop too long having not been a coordinator for over 10 years but the guy has forgotten more football than a lot of guys know. He needs MM to play better for him and he needs the offensive line to start dominating instead of idiot penalties.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Wasn't Whiz one of those genius "it" hires that everybody loved? He was an absolute disaster.

6. Keith Tomlin

Keith Tomlin Practice Squad

I think the Mularkey hire was because they are selling the team. I'd be willing to bet we have the lowest paid coaching staff in the league. They are still paying Whizenhunt and know that a rebuild is needed so they hired JR to fix the roster and Mularkey to not get MM hurt.
    The NFL wants owners with deep pockets and central power for public stadium funding battles. AAS doesn't have the liquidity to buyout the other co owners and still keep the team viable.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  7. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

Rusty?????? WTF? He has had weeks off to practice and at least do walk thrus.....this is insane. The guy has been a receiver for years.

Rusty must be a euphemism for stupid or lazy.

8. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

Every receiver in the NFL is usually covered pretty well most of the time because they pay DB's to do just that. MM can hit guys wide open, but every QB can do that. The difference in an elite NFL QB and a benchwarmer is the guy that can put a ball in a tight window and produce. Now some QB's can be elusive and run around until a guy gets open, which certainly helps. Others have to rely on talent alone to get it done. Jeff, he gets paid millions to make a PERFECT pass. If we didn't need that, we could just draft a guy in the 6th round. If our receivers could get the separation everyone is screaming about we wouldn't have to pay a QB more than anyone on the team.

9. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

And I don't think being "rusty" makes you run the wrong routes! But maybe he's rusty in the brain department also

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I remembered a lot of five-drop, deeper routes and an OL that couldn't hold.

He did a ton of quick stuff against the Bucs in that first game against a Tampa2 defense that left a lot of open space in the middle. I don't think the Titans saw that defense ever again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar