Why Locker pick might make sense...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Tony Romo was another Chris Palmer type guy.

Also, Jake Locker is getting married in July but he his going to spend the rest of the summer at Cape Code with Palmer to prepare for his rookie season. So the guy is talented, athletic, has incredible work ethic, and amazing leadership skills. What's not to like again?

2. Nash

Nash Starter

From what I've read, Munchak wants to be a run first, play action type of team.. he came close to signing Tom Moore for god's sake.. the 2 qb's that fit that style the best were Locker and Dalton...whie I might want a true WCO, Munchak is thinking about what will make us an effective power football team, that can utilize our o-line, the fact that we develop o-linemen, and we have Matthews coaching o-line.. another factor would be the weather- preparing for the cold late season he believes that run first, play action is the way to go..

3. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

I thought the pick was to high to pick up Locker. Would have rather seen a cb or dt there but Locker would probably not have been around in round 2. Best thing about the pick to me is that it wasn't Mallet. Palmer being able to develop or not is yet to be seen. I think the pick of Palmer as OC was a desperation move. I hope I'm proven wrong there. Munchak's vision of being a run hard football team will only be met if we can fix the oline. It was horrendous and had more holes in it than a pair of jeans from Tommy Bahamas. We need a fix there and a run stopping, havoc wreaking dt desperately.

On another note, Jim Schwartz (the man we should've paid to come back if we were keeping it in the family) is building himself one helluva defensive front in Detroit.

4. I like Locker's upside, but I didn't really like any of the QBs in this draft class. The scouts obviously liked what they see from him and they need a QB desperately. Not sure if they would have had him ranked as a top 10 value, but when you need a QB and you are rebuilding you basically are forced to take a QB in the draft.

My big concern, like most, is his accuracy. Apparent;y his accuracy on the run was excellent, but his accuracy in the pocket was not very good. Perhaps that was due to the team around him, and clearly part of it was from his footwork. But can he overcome that or will his accuracy always be an issue?

I'll be optimistic and say that he was a top pick last year if he came out early and just had a terrible team around him in 2010. And as I didn't like any of the other QBs out there, it's hard to complain that he was the wrong QB to take. Only time will tell...

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

At least we know that we landed at least the 2nd QB on our board and I bet that Locker was actually ahead of Newton on our board. Very rarely do you get the chance to draft the top QB on your board.

I'm not worried about Locker's accuracy. I'm more worried about his feel in the pocket and ability to read defenses.

I think Locker's ability to throw on the run will help CJ out a bunch because we will now have a lot of bootleg plays in the playbook which will force the offside DE to stay at home rather than crashing down the line to stop CJ.

The interesting thing to watch is what QB we bring in. Collins' lack of mobility wouldn't seem like a fit for the new system. I think a guy like Tyler Thigpen would be a nice pickup for a yr. He is mobile and would be willing to be a backup once Locker was ready. Alex Smith is another mobile guy, but I doubt that he wants to go someplace that just drafted their QB of the future.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

My first reaction to the Locker pick was that it was a huge reach. Obviously, Munch feels he fits what he wants to do with the offense and thinks he brings a lot of intangibles to the mix. I don't blame him for not risking losing his guy if he felt he was the one. I just hope he didn't put those intangibles ahead of accuracy concerns.

I think Locker is the kind of guy who will be a student of the game and will work hard to do what it takes to improve his game.

Load up on D today. Lots of talent left.

7. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I was unjustly villafied in the past for expressing my opinion. I'm not a divisive guy, a troll, or someone who just likes to argue for no reason. I simply chose to tackle a very divisive topic.

When I woke up this morning and started thinking the 1st thing I thought about is how divisive VY was for the FANS.

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Don't get me wrong--I like the Locker pick--but it sounds like this is a Chris Palmer pick. Based on what I've read today, he was banging the table for the Titans to take Locker. This is the guy who drafted David Carr. He better have learned from his past mistakes.

9. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

dude is a winner..... especially with the crappiest offense on both the players and the coaching side.... this guy has proven he can do anything with junk... imagine what he'll do with weapons like CJ and Britt!

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I'm only slightly concerned about his pocket accuracy... The fact that he was accurate on the run means he can deliver the ball - he just needs to be given the protection and a little coaching to do it from the pocket consistently. And I like that he's already learned to limit the negative plays.

You'd like a guy who has it all, but they don't really exist. And if you pick a guy who has a weakness, you want his strength to be a work ethic that will allow him to improve. As we saw with Young, talent alone only takes you so far. And as we've seen with Manning, some talent and a ton of hard work is how you make a name for yourself. If Locker fails, we won't be left with the could-have's and would-have's. And I appreciate that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar