Why is everyone giving up on CJ2k?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by damersbrah, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damersbrah

damersbrah Special Teams Standout

I'm new to the forum here, and a Titans fan for about 10 years now. Is it normal here to be so doom and gloom? Sure he's had a slow start to the season, but it certainly isn't all on him.

While we have one of the best pass-blocking lines, they are absolutely pitiful in run-blocking. Not to mention we were missing our FB for 4 games, all while adjusting to a new coach, QB, and play schematics.

Now this is no way an apologist thread, or me trying to make excuses for CJ. Quite simply he has been unimpressive so far, but the blame isn't solely on him. The coaching staff and entire team needs to step up. Like it or not he is our best player, and this team will only go as far as he takes us. It's clear the O-line needs to be improved, but for the time being this is what we have. I'd like to see him get the ball in more creative situations, put him out in space on screens and the like.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Fan Forums barely have enough to talk about on a weekly basis when it comes to a specific team, let alone day-to-day.

So people nitpick and dramatize things going on with the team so a polarizing conversation can start and there can be lots of discussion.

• High Five High Five x 7
  3. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

He's slower, he's indecisive, he doesn't care now that he got paid...And we're all pissed about how he carried himself this offseason.

• High Five High Five x 4
  4. damersbrah

He deserved to get paid dating back to last season, sure he acted selfish and could have handled the situation better. But lets be honest, the FO has a history of not playing players and were being equally unreasonable. Before this season he was the best RB in the NFL production wise.

He's dancing a bit, but he has to play to his strengths. He's not the guy who can make a hole out of nothing and move the pile. Until this line can get their act together and get some push in the run game and create some holes, were going to see more of the same.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

The FO has a history of not paying players? Why because we didn't break the bank for AH? Or Babin? Or kept Bulluck on his destroyed knee? Look at the teams that spend heavily on players, they normally suck. We should've screwed CJ and let him sit out the entire year.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Pretty much. This is the only fan forum where I post, but I read the Penn State forums, since I don't get that local perspective. At 5-1 and going into homecoming against Purdue, many of the vocal folks thought they wouldn't make a bowl game. Now that they won the bowl game, most of the vocal folks are saying 6-7 with a bowl loss.

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I'd like to see the run blocking stats across the league... I know we are terrible, but I don't think it's an excuse for CJ. I'm sure there are a handfull or runners who are doing fine behind bad o-lines. I know Forte is beasting it up this year and his line is the worst in the league (not sure how it is at run blocking though).

CJ has the lowest YPC average in the league. 'Nuff said.

I can easily name 15 better RBs than CJ... Easily. No effort required. Might even be able to name 25 superior backs without much trouble.

• High Five High Five x 4
  8. damersbrah

Do you really believe CJ didn't deserve to be paid?

Please name them, and elaborate on how they would be doing so much better under the same circumstances. Last year the Titans had the worst ranked run-blocking line and have only gotten worse.

BTW you wanted stats, here's what I found.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Seems like we are right on pace to have one of if not the worst run-blocking lines again.

9. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

That's a tricky subject. If you're saying YPC until now this season, then sure, but that's not saying much considering he's easily the best RB in the league the past 3 years and has his name on a couple records already in the NFL.

To say anyone is better than the guy who set the yards from scrimmage record 2 years ago at his position is tough, especially when you can't place blame on him one way or another and be provably correct.

Do I think he's waiting too much and not just blasting through the line like he used to? Sure.

Does that, coupled with very poor run blocking mean 25 running backs are BETTER than him, or he's just not using his talents in the way he used to now?

I think to measure a good RB you have to assume they have a hole to run though.

If you gave me any running back in the league to take a run through the hole and past the LOS, I wouldn't take more than 1, maybe 2 aside from CJ, much less over him.

10. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

He did, but do what AP did, or Fitz, they still got paid.

AP
    Ray Rice
    Hillis (When healthy)
    MJD
    DMC
    Bradshaw
    McCoy
    Forte
    Best
    Turner
    Gore
    Blount

Are all backs I'd take over CJ in a heartbeat.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar