Why I think the Redskins ultimately control the 1st round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JCBRAVE, Mar 20, 2015.

?
  1. I think so

15.4%
  2. I dont know

15.4%
  3. Who cares the pick should be Leonard Williams regardless

69.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Indeed he is, and it will be tempting...but they wont...They have been DYING for a franchise QB for god knows how long.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Dont think of Mett as a 6th rounder, I personally think he would have gone in the 2nd if not for the bad knee..

But yea franchise is stale, needs to change, but taking Mariota just for the sake of selling seats is the wrong plan. We could win with LW and Mett now. Obviously add a RT and RB and then we're cooking, but that all seems within reach right now..

3. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I still think we control the draft. So much of what we do determines how everything else falls.

I know this has been suggested before, but maybe not in this way: Let's say for instance, the Titans like Mariota enough to draft him but they prefer a big trade more. Closer to the draft, they aren't getting the offers to move up that they want because teams believe they are going to pass on him. So at the #2 pick they take Mariota and it screws up everyone else's boards because they weren't expecting it. Right after the pick Webster lets the rest of the NFL know that the Titans are happy to keep Mariota and work with him, but prefer a big trade and they are putting him on the trading block to the team with the best offer.

This works two ways. #1. If they would truly be happy with Mariota, there is no risk. They have a QB they believe they can work with. #2. If they just think they can rebuild the team faster with a major trade, this gives them all of the leverage. Mariota is already theirs and teams are going to have to blow them away with an offer in order to get him. Perhaps it is at team that already thought they were going to land him by having a deal in place with JAX or OAK for their pick in order to jump NYJ, but didn't want to deal with the Titans because it would be too expensive. Now those teams, if they're in love with Mariota, HAVE to deal with the Titans.

It would be a gutsy move, but as I said, perhaps the Titans do like Mariota enough to take him. I think this would be very entertaining come draft day!

4. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

We shouldn't think of Mett as any rounder ...

To me, once you play in the NFL, draft position is irrelevant. No one cares what round you were taken in, just how well you perform ... Manziel and Tim Tebow were 1st round picks, I don't see that anyone really cares about that now. Tom Brady was a 6th round pick, but he has never been in jeopardy of losing his job.

The round a player goes in is completely based on projections for how well that player will play in the NFL. We have seen Mett in the NFL, the coaches have seen him every day for a year now ... his draft position last year has NOTHING to do with whether or not we take a QB this year. It has EVERYTHING to do with the impression he has made since being drafted.

We should not be comparing Mariota to ZM's "6th round" status nor should we compare him to ZM's "should've gone 2nd/3rd round" status.

We can only compare how well we think Mariota projects to the NFL to what where ZM is at now

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. Thaddeus43

Honestly, I doubt that Mariota as a rookie will be better than Mett as a 2nd year player. However, the question is, based on the information we have now (not just based on who was picked in what round) who has the higher ceiling?

We have MUCH more info on Mett than we do MM. So the staff's conclusion on what they feel Mett's ceiling lays is going to be more accurate.

We don't have much info on MM, so where his ceiling lays is going to be more uncertain.

Because of that uncertainty, the coaching staff would need to feel that MM's potential far out weighs Mett

6. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

TB is in a little better spot than us, Glennon has had some success, they have Evans and Jackson...maybe they go D

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

right and as of this minute ZM>MM

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Doesn't matter who the Redskins trade with, if the Titans want Mariota then they'll take him at 2. Even if they don't want to take Mariota, they're still going to "express interest" and now it becomes a game with every other potential trade partner willing to risk our actual interest or not.

If I'm the Browns, Chargers, Saints, etc. and there's a QB I want. I'm not going to trade valuable assets just for the chance to draft him. If I'm making the move up, I'm making the move up to make sure I secure the player. The Redskins don't control anything. The draft starts with the Titans at 2.

9. Thaddeus43

I agree with you. 2015 day 1, Titans would be better off with ZM than MM.

BUT we have to think about the future ... Does ZM have more upside than MM? I don't know the answer to that (no one really does)

However, I do know that the coaches must make the assessment of both players future potential. And the coaches know a LOT about ZM ... they don't know much about MM.

Unless they just fell that MM has MUCH more potential than ZM, then I think they need to stick with ZM (their assessment on ZM is likely going to be much more accurate than their assessment on MM just based on the amount of time ZM has spent in the system and with coaches).

IF they go MM, then they obviously think VERY highly of him (or just don't think Mett has what it takes after working with him for a full season)

Personally, I HOPE the staff is actually sold on Mett for what he did last year (more than just on the field, also how well he was able to grasp the playbook, how coachable he was, etc). But (just like everyone else) I just don't know. I could see a scenario where MM is the pick.

I could just as easily see a scenario where we hand the keys to Mett.

10. Thaddeus43

Well, no one is going to make the trade until they the Redskins are on the clock ... then they will KNOW who is on the board. So they won't be giving up anything for the 'chance to draft' MM. Once they give up picks, they will know exactly who they are getting.

But overall, I agree with you. If a team is IN LOVE with MM, then they won't risk sitting around to see if he falls to #5 before making the move. They won't risk losing 'their guy'. If a team does wait until #5 to trade, then its likely they liked Mariota, but not enough to move up to #2 regardless of the situation.

I think that Washington's pick has very little to no bearing on our pick. Unless of course they trade with us, or another team (*cough* eagles *cough*) use it as a stepping stone to get to our pick

In that case Wash selling their pick could be the key. Maybe Eagles trade up to 10, then to 5 then to 2 ... the only problem with that is, by the time they got up to 5, would they even have anything left to trade for #2?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar