Why I don't want an elite WR in our lineup.. if Vince is QB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    A receiver becomes an elite receiver by going above and beyond to make his QB look good. He will catch any pass that is thrown anywhere near him, and will adjust his route to grab an off-accurate pass.
    If anything, an elite WR would make Vince, and the whole offense better.
    If the defense double teams that WR, Vince would have other options that would most likely be one on one coverage.

Can you and every other whiner on this board please, for the love of all that is good in this world, let Dinger work with Vince for one more season, just like he (Dinger) said last TC without throwing in the towel? Is that possible?
    You and ever other VY hater needs to just up and move to France, as you give up so easily.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Pitbull's comments had more to do with the fact that our system won't use an elite WR enough to merit paying market price for one. But yes, some Vince bashing was added at the end. It's still a valid point about our system. I don't see us producing a 1200 yard receiver. Bennett during our Volek days was an anomaly, brought about by playing from behind constantly.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I kind of wish this thread was titled "I don't want Vince in our lineup if an elite WR is a Titan"

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't know if I would consider 2002,2003 "pass first", but I felt those were our 2 playoff years where passing the ball was a good viable option, and we seemed to do it regularly with success.

As far as Fisher's philosophy, that begs one more question... if he is never going to adjust his offense's strategy, should we ever consider drafting a QB in the first round again? Looking at what we've given VY to work with, my answer would be no. If Fisher won't make any adjustment to our O strategy, and we are never going to go after an elite WR, we probably shouldn't be trying to draft an elite QB either. We should just roll with the KFC's of the NFL until we get a new coach, if this is the case.

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

It's not so much the bashing per se that irks me. I constructively criticize VY just as much as the next person, but I beleive he still has a chance to redeem himself.
    Unlike when Pacman got suspended for the year, I knew right then that he would never play another down for TN.
    it's just that I just get aggravated when everyone else has given up on him but the team (and Dinger) have shown no signs of giving up on him.
    Vince is not a wash....yet.

I agree about the valid point about our system though.
    Volek/Bennett was an anomaly to this organization but not a football anomaly.
    Bennett got that many yards because Volek is a stellar passer. I wish we would have kept him (Volek).

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

As to the organization and Vince Young, they've been trying as hard as possible to make it sound like they haven't given up on him, but he didn't start another game after coming back from injury this season. Players on our team generally get their jobs back after injury. Fisher has also basically said that Collins will go into camp as the #1, which doesn't say good things about Young. He may have another chance or two to win it back, but that's not exactly full support, it's just not full desertion.

Volek may not have been a bad passer, but he's a career backup. Fisher seemed to determine that he wasn't up to taking the responsibility to be #1. I'll trust him on that, since I have no further information, no reason not to, and Volek remains a career backup in SD.

7. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Dude.. go lick a light bulb. It might help you see things a little clearer..

Seriously though.. you suggesting that an elite receiver would catch any pass that is thrown near him (regardless of the QB) is silly to say the least. You bluntly disregard all factors that weigh in to produce a pass.. including.. ummm.. the passer. :suspect:

What happened to the good old little things that were vital for every completed pass. You know.. all the boring stuff.. QB/receiver chemistry, communicating the correct play.. not pouting when things went wrong… and all the other small things which were the signature of a reliable QB.

Besides.. how long have you watched the Titans play? Since when have we been a 'pass first' offense. If I recall, only two seasons in the last decade did we revert to passing every chance we had.. and that was only because we had no running backs worth a damn at the time. Plus our team sucked; we had nothing to lose.. and we ended both the 04 and 05 seasons 5-11 and 4-12 respectively.

Before that two year slump and ever since, our philosophy has been to win games by keeping it close and being careful with the ball. Fisher doesn't believe in stretching the field when we have a viable chance of winning. He likes to control the pace of the game and win it with old fashioned smack mouth football.

And where do you go labeling me a "VY hater".. I'm sick and tired of hearing that phrase being thrown around so loosely on this board..

Reminds me of the communism fears back in the 50s where folks who supported the taxation of the rich were labeled “communists”.. or the persecution of women in the 1800s and tagging them ‘witches’ for advocating women rights.
    You my good stereotyping friend, would fit right in..

Speaking of stereotyping.. it sure is simple to identify a UT fan when you see one. Vince strongest attribute is not his arm.. he's not worth a dime as a passing QB, but would be good when utilized as a game manager and one who can keep drives alive with his legs and by making the short route passes.. and most importantly, not turn it over. Doesn't take a UT fan long to turn that into a VY bashing statement. Yeah I know.. I also am stereotyping. Well are you?

If I remember correctly it was Vince who threw in the towel, not once.. but twice. I'm sure you'll dispute that, but go back to licking your light bulb and it'll come to you.

You and every other VY lover need to just up.. shut up, tuck your good old orange jersey in your little orange suit case and drive the hell up back to big ole Orange Texas.. as you'll never accept Vince being weighed an ounce lighter than a predominant QB..

Yeah give him an $10-12mil elite WR.
    I know you kid. You kid.. right? :biglaugh:

8. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

They say 70% of Big Bens completed passes come from when he leaves the Pocket and runs around until a WR comes open. I dont see why this wouldnt work for VY as well.

Big Ben runs around, gets sacked a lot, gets pressured a lot, but he still wins SB's cause he makes big plays and the Steelers defense does the rest. VY did the same thing in his rookie year. He has to get back to being a play maker like Big Ben, thats the only we he can have success imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar