Why I don't want an elite WR in our lineup.. if Vince is QB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

You'd be selfish too if you were putting up close to the same numbers as your teammate and making 700% less. Wouldn't you want to get what you are worth?

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

He just signed the deal 2 years ago and he's been crying like a little girl ever since. Shut up and play out your contract, and if it's all about the money, go large or go home. Players like this piss me off. He should be relegated to sign 1 year deals from now on. :grrr: Donte Stallworth anyone???? I hope he gets traded to the Raiders, signs a 4 year 80 mil deal and has 14 catches next year. Karma, she's a beetch:)

3. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Because we don't throw the ball around the field that often at all. You simply cannot catch more passes then are thrown your way... the reason our TE and HB have more receptions then him is because most of the passes we throw are short routes, similar to the ones that may be thrown the the SLOT RECEIVER...

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

From what I take of your statement, it seems we more or less agree with one another.
    But I will also say that I'm not ready to give up on Crump, not by a long shot. I'm almost betting that the coaches limited Crumps route running because they knew everyone would be looking out for him. I also think they knew that everyone would underrate/underestimate Scaife.
    I just refuse to believe that Crump blocked as much as he did because of an injury or substandard receiving performance.

5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I couldn't agree anymore. Crump was the 'good TE' i referred to. The fact is, Crumpler did a fantastic job last season run blocking, and didn't do too much in the passing game. Perhaps because Bo Scaife was getting so much love from KC, but that's just speculation. Regardless, we all know what Crumpler is capable of in the passing game, and his contributions elsewhere make him a valuable part of our offense. Keep em around, he's on the tail end of his career and probably want's to stick it out and give it all he's got while he's got it.
    That all being said, Tony Gonz offers a huge upgrade, especially in the passing game (all time TD record for a TE) and having three stellar TE's on a Fisher team is far from a bad thing in my book.

6. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Gage is not rubbish.. Our passing game is rubbish.. we don't trust our QBs to pass beyond 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.

What's he supposed to do.. line up as a TE?
    Despite this, he still managed to pile up the most receiving yards this season. Yet you dismiss that. Why didn't you mention that stat? :suspect:

and if i recall, he caught the ball 10 times for 135 yards during the Ravens playoff game because we planned to pass to him.. and he sure as hell made the catches.

So much for a rubbish WR.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think if the strategy you are recommending is to go into every season with a bottom 5 receiver core, that's terrible.

Many say Vince Young sucks. Everyone should admit that Kerry Collins is nothing more than a middle of the pack QB.

My feeling is, if we are going to end up with a new QB in 2 seasons, then I'd rather have an established WR on the roster for that QB to work with. Rather than bringing in QBs with no targets. And clearly a better WR couldn't hurt VY or KFC.

That, and a legit WR opens up opportunities for everyone, from vince scrambling, to fewer men in the box for CJ, to one on one coverage vs. the #2CB for Gage, to easier chances to get open for Scaife and Crumpler....

Please let's get a WR!!!

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

As the thread implies.. If Vince is QB I wouldn't want an elite QB. Main reason being, I believe an elite QB would be a waste of money (in our system).

Ofcourse if we had a QB worth a dime who we trust to make the passes, then ofcourse I agree a WR should be high on our radar. Until then, Tony would be much more effective at 1/2 the cost.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

If Vince is QB next season, and we add one elite wide receiver, all Vince has to do is hit that WR deep a few times in one on one coverage and defenses will have to start respecting that option of our offense.

IF that can happen, then it creates the chain reaction, easier opportunities for Vince to scamble, less men in the box for CJ runs, easier coverage for Gage, easier coverage for TEs.

Worst case, Vince can't do that, then we all KNOW for sure that he needs to go. And we have a WR for the future QB of this team. Personally, I'd rather get an established WR first, before getting the next QB of the team.

I think that's been part of the problem in VY's development.

10. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

But here's the question... Will we ever change with Fish as head coach? Will we ever evolve into a 'pass first' team? I really doubt it. Fish is too careful to trust a QB's arm to win him a trophy.

Even during the McNair years, we always were a smack mouth football team with the best WR we've had since moving to TN being Mason who, believe it or not.. is not considered a top 10 WR by many.

And you're right about KFC. I also agree he's nothing much to brag about.

And lucky for him, he fits perfectly in our system. He's bluffing... he sure as hell doesn't want to go elsewhere. I really don't see him wanting to play outside of Tennessee. I'm certain he'll fail under another system... especially one with an average/ below average O-Line. He knows it and so do we.
    Watch him gratefully sign for pennies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar