Why I don't want an elite WR in our lineup.. if Vince is QB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Seriously people.. we don't need an overpaid WR who will be underutilized in our system... we need Tony Gonzales. Most poster seem to believe that bringing in a top 10 WR will solve all of our problems. If it was that easy we wouldn't be having this discussion. You really have to look at the bigger picture.

With Tony in our lineup, he will make VY look like a superstar considering VY will remain on our roster as long as Bud Adams is alive and kicking, and apparently is "our QB of the future".... and "not going anywhere"..
    Note the quotation marks being direct quotes from the decision makers.

Did anyone hear what Gayton had to say about Gonzales after he caught the ball for a TD during the pro-bowl?

"If you can't hit Tony there's something wrong with you as a QB. He's such a big target, he runs great, he makes a QB job pretty easy."

Someone to make "a QB job pretty easy" is exactly what we need for Vince. How will attempting to pass the ball 40 yards deep to a Bouldin type WR make Vince's job easy? His inaccuracy will kill us..

Again.. Vince clearly isn't going anywhere, so why not try to work around that and bring in someone who will make the catches regardless of who's throwing them.

We really won't be doing Vince a favor by bringing in oocho stinko.
    Basically what we would be doing for Vince is the same as giving your 8 year old daughter who sucks at tennis a new expensive racket which was used by the pros when they were her age.

I really believe its unnecessary and foolish for us to break the bank on someone who's talent would be better utilized elsewhere.

With Vince behind center, give your honest un-homerized opinion on who you would rather have:

- Pay $8-10mil to Boldin who will be utilized 30-40% of the time under our system.
    - Pay $4mil to Gonzales who will be utilized twice as much (highly optimistic) as Scaife in 08.

Besides.. which WR would be foolish enough to risk being made a scapegoat for Vince?

With Vince as our long term QB, I really don't see it happening. Live with it. Learn to accept it.
    And if anything.. if it was to happen it would be a failed experiment. Only time will tell if I'm full of BS.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I've got a feeling Collins is gone and Simms beats Vince out in TC.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i've got a feeling you're smoking the hippie lettace.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

been a long time but I do think Vince may be Bud's guy, but he isn't Fisher and Dinger's. I don't think they let Scaife test the waters and let Ealy a while back if VY was "THE GUY".

I also think that Simms was brought in to season a year before truly competing. I can't believe Phil Simms would let him come here unless he had a legitimate shot at starting again.

5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

To be honest, I would rather have Boldin for 8-10 mil...but I can see where your coming from.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I have a hard time envisioning any scenario where Vince is the starting qb.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

I thought that's what Kerry had been doing all season???

8. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

We have enough #2 and #3 WRs.

And the guy that suggests that has Antonio Bryant as his #1 WR free agent and Washington ahead of T.J.

I wouldn't take his advice.

10. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

I'm not taking his advice i just thought i'd share the article i found with you guys and get your thoughts. As far as who i would rather have its a win a win situation IMO, i dont think you can go wrong with either one. I think if you brought a top tier WR here the Titans would be foolish not to use all his abilities,they found different ways to get CJ the ball so i'm sure they would find ways to get the WR the rock who ever that may be. If you think about it, Drew Bennett had a little over 1200 yards receiving in 04 and was considered our #1 at the time and still managed to have a pretty solid year despite playing on a team that was put together by patchwork. I would think with a solid running game,Qb(if Collins) and one of the best o-lines in football, that if a reputable WR came here he could have a pro bowl year

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar