Why did the Titans let it come to this?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Thing is, few teams have everything. The Cards got there playing offense. The Steelers defense. Defense usually wins.

Fisherball generated plenty of offense yet lost because the Ravens defense generated turnovers.

2. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Thats something any team not just the Titans are going to have to except. I honestly dont think AH could make it through a whole season and i say that because he plays the most physical position on the field. Hes constantly getting double teamed and that definitely takes a toll on your body,nevermind the fact that in the trenches your chances are higher of getting hurt because of the bodies fallin around your legs. You just hope that he can play at least 14-15 games, anything more is gravy because you know that hes going to be dominate in those games that he can play. You could make an argument with any player signing a big time contract,you just roll the dice and hopefully things work out....

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

So, it has come to this...
    [​IMG]

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Yet who won the Superbowl MVP? It wasn't one of those great Steeler linebackers. Which goes to show even the best defensive teams need a receiver.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

If anything, that shows the stupidity of whoever it is that determines MVP. Harrison's play won the game for the Steelers, he just did it early enough that it didn't create the drama that the final TD did. I also think he didn't get it because of the dirty foul on one of the kicks. I think he should have been kicked out of the game for that foul, but that play was certainly good enough to earn MVP.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Or you could as easily say that Fisherball didn't have a premium possession WR not prone to turn the ball over. Bottom line is our Offense under Fisherball only generated 10 points.

we have the room to upgrade our WR corps. We should do it.

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Never the less, Holmes had a huge game and without him Steelers probably don't win because Ward was invisible during the game.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Huh?!?!?!?

You think I've forgotten since the start of this debate? lol

Apparently, we did NOT need either of those things to beat up the Super Bowl winning Steelers nor to beat the Ravens who beat us. We needed to not commit 3 turnovers, not give up bombs when we knew they were coming, and get a defensive stop on the most important stand of the game. In fact, if we don't give up any ONE of those things we win the game. And NONE of these things has anything to do with a premiere possession WR or a legit downfield threat....so it appears we CAN 'grab' those wins without what you're suggesting.

I'm curious, how did Fisher win ANY playoff games using Fisher ball? How did we make it to the Super Bowl? Good and bad breaks happen in playoff games. If the db on the cards doesn't slip, Holmes doesn't run that catch down inside the 5 and perhaps the Caards win the game. The Steelers caught a break having nothing to do with anything other than a slick field.

And if you want to argue that Fisher hasn't won a Superbowl regardless of circumstance...fine. Your argument against his strategy, though, is flawed...as I and others have pointed out. The majority of the time, DEFENSE wins championships...not premiere possession WR's and 'legit' deep threats.

I expect then that you will dramatically change your tune when he wins one...since in your mind he will have magically become a much better coach, right?

Gut

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Absolutely I'll change my tune if/when Fisher wins one. My whole premise is based on the fact he hasn't.

Fisher has had several chances to make Super Bowl runs- he got in it one time- lost. He set up home field twice- both times one and done. My "argument" has been that Fisher ball does win regular season games more often than not BUT it doesn't do the same in the playoffs.

I have never stated that defense does not win championships. I agree that turnovers cost us both our "home field" runs. Was it great defense or poor ball handling on the offense? I don't know- hard to say, especially since we had two key turnovers occurring in the red zone. We also missed a ~45 yd FG (another Fisherball tendency to kick). Any way you slice it we came up short on points. The D held the Ravens to 13.

It seems pretty obvious to me that a Super Bowl winning caliber team should be able to hang more than 10 points (regardless of turnovers) on ANY defense they oppose. A legitimate downfield threat WR and a premiere possession WR allows an offense more capacity to score points. That is my only contention here.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

This is flawed logic. That's like saying you flip a coin 5 times and they're all tails. Since you wanted heads, the guy flipping the coin is a loser. Once he flips and it comes up heads...he's a WINNER! His flipping didn't change, just the outcome. So why would he be valued differently? Now, if Fisher was a bad coach and BECAUSE of his bad coaching, we aren't gonna make the playoffs or the Super Bowl and therefore have no chance to win...that would be one thing. However, Fisher's strategy has worked to win plenty of Super Bowls in NFL history and the fact that twice he has proven he can build a team to be Super Bowl worthy, proves his coaching is not a flaw in winning the Super Bowl. The coaching strategy for our games has not been a flaw...just the execution and some bad breaks.

Another flaw in your premise is that the D held them to 13 and our offense couldn't score. It wouldn't have mattered if we had a premiere possession WR or not if our QB, RB and TE fumble the ball and throw an INT. We moved the ball all day...so that wasn't the problem. Additionally, you think adding WR's will make that much of an addition to our offense while ignoring the effect of not having AH will be on the D. Will we still be holding teams to 10-13 points?

I'm confused. Do other offensive systems kick 45 yd fg's or only 'fisherball?' If others do...then this point is moot...and statistically, you could think of it as a bad break. You could argue we lost both homefield playoff games not hitting a very makeable FG (in EITHER game). As a fan, don't you want him to kick a 45 yd FG? The chances of success are far greater than getting a first down on 3rd or 4th down.

Statistically, we're more likely to hit 2 out of 2 FG's in those playoff games than 1/2 (which would have allowed us to advance once)...but 0/2 is a much lower likelihood (didn't advance either time)...and yet that happened.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar