Why all the money saving??

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Thaddeus43, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

So it seems the Titans recently have made a big effort to cut back on a lot of spending for players. So far the Titans saved money by:

Cutting Fitz
    Cutting CJ
    Reworking Kam
    Reworking Stevens
    Letting Verner walk

I understand that some players may not have been living up to their contracts (CJ, Fitz, Kam, Stevens) and it is great when you can rework a players deal in order to save money (keep the same player for cheaper only helps the team afterall). But why cut players that may contribute/downgrade to cheaper players if you are not up against the cap?

For example Fitz. I think most believe that we downgraded from Fitz. But what is the point? Its not like we are strapped for money right now. And even if we draft a QB in rd 1, there is no harm in keeping the best QB. You don't have to down grade a position just because you plan on bringing someone else in.

CJ as well. **This is NOT meant to turn into a CJ thread** I know he didn't live upto his contract, but if we are not up against the cap or making room for another big name player, then what does it matter? Its all about putting the best 11 players on the field, not about fielding the best 11 players per $ ... even if CJ was getting paid $8M this year to play 50% of the snaps, who cares as long as he is helping the team. (I know there may be other factors into his release such as willingness to play here ect, but thats not the point of this thread)

Verner is another example. He played great for us last year, but we don't even really try to make him an offer to stay a Titan. Maybe it was a scheme fit, but the more I look at everything else going on, it seems this is a lot more about saving money.

When you look at all the cases individually it seems like you can make an arguement as to why they were let go, but looking at everything as a whole, there seems to be a trend.

So again I ask the question ... Why are the Titans putting in so much effort to save money right now? Even at the cost of losing some talent.

There are a few possible reasons in my mind.

#1) The ownership is being stingy with their money - I do not believe this is the case since we went out and paid Whiz $1m per year more than he was offered in Detroit. We also went out and hired a bunch of really good NFL coaches for the staff (some of them even over-qualified for their position). So I think this shows a commitment from the ownership that it wants to win.

#2) The FO is planning on going through a bigger rebuilding phase than they want to admit - Maybe Ruston is making room to make bigger FA additions over the next few years and isn't worried about paying guys that probably won't contribute for much longer.

#3) The FO is planning on targeting some other FAs or big name trade and are making room for them - I find this highly unlikely

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

LeBron sweepstakes.

• High Five High Five x 5
  3. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

If Casey has a big year in this new defense he will be getting paid. Locker is due a lot the following season if we decide to keep him. Wright could also get a nice extension.

• High Five High Five x 7
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Plus Ayers, if he flourishes the way we expect in the new defense, will be up for big money after this season.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

Another player who could be getting high end money. He needs to have a Von Miller-esque type of season tho.

6. The Hammer

Even if it is not high end money he is still due a big raise after this year.

7. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

Do you think this is a make it or break season for Akeem Ayers as a Titan??

8. The Hammer

Maybe. It is his fourth year and he is a FA at the end. Plus now we will have a defense that should better utilize his skills. He does not need to be the second coming of Lawrence Taylor but we should see more big plays for him. That being said, if we are not seeing the big plays but see consistent plays from him maybe a move to ILB might be appropriate.

9. kenny

kenny Starter

The reason for the cuts/reduced salaries is due to an actual football decision. This is about paying a player for what they are worth. CJ was not worth anywhere near what he was being paid, nor were Stevens & Wimbley. Saying they are being cheap is crazy. The team is FINALLY making accurate player assessments and paying the players accordingly. If they will not play for the price then you cut them. This is INTELLIGENT football and roster development. I know many will say how is this developing the roster. I will tell you. The leadership of this team is sending a clear message, we WILL pay top talent. However, to make that kind of money you have to PROVE you are worth it. Not just for one year, but continuously. This isn't about signing another FA, this is about doing what is right for the team. You do not pay a person millions of dollars they are scheduled to make simply because you can afford it. You pay players what they are worth and show the rest of the team that to make big $$$ you have to earn it. The Titans have been far too guilty of paying too much for subpar performances for far too long. As a fan I am highly encouraged by the decisions that have been made. They show that there are actual football leaders making good football decisions. It is long overdue, and I for one am proud of the direction the Titans are headed. Whisenhunt and Webster are making very accurate assessments of player value and sticking to that value. This looks very good for the future. Contenders do this on a regular basis, which is why it is new to us as fans. This is the path we should of followed years ago!!! Go Titans!!

• High Five High Five x 9
  10. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Ayers will be better this year...Just wait and watch. He has MUCH better coaching behind him, and if they add a few pieces, it could get real ugly for offenses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar