Who'll Make the Cut? An Early Look at the Final 53

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not him being cut out of camp...

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

That can, and very well might, happen. reo has convinced me of this possibility, and I think it would be better for the future to keep PW and Ealy than one of those two and Jones.

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

There's been a lot of talk about who of our mediocre depth stays and who goes. I have a feeling it won't matter much in the end.

I'm intersted to see what happens on the o-line. I guess they go with 8, Otto is the 3rd backup.

D-line depth is always good, but from what I've seen so far, I question the value of Ball or Conover as the 9th guy. Maybe they try to throw a vet in there? But that means Fisher must have looked really bad before we cut him....or the bucks were just too much.

I'm kinda interested in Cole now maybe making the team. He looks like one of those raw guys with the tools. And then maybe Joiner over Nickey? I'd hope Joiner would have more safety potential than Nickey, but I don't remember him sticking out on ST's yet.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Jones is a lock because there aren't more than 3 WRs on our team who are better than he is. It's pretty simple really. If we were pressed for roster spots for WRs, I might understand this theoretical preference for younger players, but we have plenty of spots and not enough decent WRs, there's no reason to keep 3 WRs to "develop" if Jones is better than all three. Keep the two that you think are best and Jones, you get the best of both worlds. Also, Jones isn't old! It's not like he's an aging vet, he's just someone that we have to decide on whether or not to re-sign soon.

5. ewoo

ewoo Starter

I believe that most receivers must have at least 3 years given to them before they can really come into their own. Mason and Wycheck came on strong in their 4th season.
    So why the rush to give up on Paul? A receiver has to get a feel for the system, the qb and the defensive scheme being used and that takes time!

6. Paul Williams' problems have been far more than simply not coming into his own. Even during the preseason this year, they have been evident.

That's not to say he can't get better, but it's not looking good right now. He has upside, but I'd say he's far behind where a reasonably good WR should be going into in his 2nd year.

7. reo

reo Starter

Jones will probably end up making it. I can't seem him making it if he's not a starter but he's had a really good camp and he's the slot WR. I don't see him getting cut unless someone unseats him which is highly unlikely.

The thing about PW is that its not like he's not showing anything. He's had a pretty good camp. Every time I went to camp, he was making plays and really good catches. Imo if he can contribute on STs then that combined w/ his improvement will get him a roster spot. Its not like he hasn't shown anything at all. It just hasn't translated to games yet. He's got 2 more though so we'll see...

I'm still not sold on Roydell making it though. imo if he makes it then it means our depth is BAD and the Titans tremble at the very thought of them getting on the field this year.

8. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Nickey always seems to make the team due to his ST play. I don't have the stats nor do I want to go look them up but hasn't he lead the ST in tackles every yr. If that is right then I guess they figure he is worth it.

9. Roydell and Jones are both locks. Roydell may not be 100% to start the year, but he was a starter last year and they won't just cut him.

10. reo

reo Starter

Just posted this in another thread on another board so figured i'd post it here too.

PW will probably get another year. He's shown a lot in camp and he's playing well on STs now.

Imo Gage, McCareins, Jones and Hawkins are all but locks. I think PW will probably make it so that leaves 1 or 2 slots depending on how many they keep. I'm leaning toward 7.

Roydell, Davis and Ealy are all playing for 1 or 2 spots. If Davis plays well on STs these next couple weeks then he might have the edge. Ealy so far imo is probably the odd man out just b/c they could probably sneak him on the PS for another year.

Actually... as much as i've been harping on Roydell, I could see a scenerio unfolding where they try to get Ealy back on the PS. Keep 7 WRs and keep both Roydell and Davis. If Ealy plays well in the next couple games though.. he might make it tough for them to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar