Who Should The Starting QB Be To Open The 2012 Season?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Jun 23, 2012.

?
  1. Matt Hasselbeck

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Jake Locker

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Not Sure At This Time

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

Again, I'm sorry if I'm being argumentative. However, he played well against the average to below average teams, and poorly against the good teams. He did play well against the Ravens, that was the exception. I don't think it was a coincidence that the outcome of W's and L's fell the way that they did last year.

Here's the problem with that, this year we have significantly more good teams on our schedule as opposed to last year. He's simply not going to beat the Patriots, Chargers, Lions, Texans (41-7), Steelers, Bears, Packers, and the like. He does not fair well against elite, playoff teams. I think most people would admit to that. Usually in the NFL, average to below average QB's don't win over the elite QB's. For the most part, it's all about the QB.

2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Lets see, How many winning teams did Hass beat last year? TWO. He beat TWO teams last year with winning records. And one of them was the Texans 2nd/3rd string. Not much to brag about

The pass rush might not have looked so bad either if Hass ever gave them a chance to rest.

Seems like Big Ben beat us pretty easily with a broken foot last year. He could barely even walk that game. Injuries are a part of the game. If you are on the field, then you don't get to use them as an excuse.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

The defense could have done themselves a favor by not being awful on third down.

He shouldn't have been on the field. That was clear to everyone except Mike Munchak and Dr. Elrod. I don't know how many times you want me to say it.

And as far as Ben's injury vs Matt's; a sprained foot can be numbed with a shot while a strained calf can't. If the muscle isn't working it's not working.

4. Fry

That's not really true. We played seven games against playoff teams last year. This season we have seven teams that made the playoffs last season. Of course that number could change since there are always a couple of teams that do/don't make the playoffs year to year.

Let's be honest, you can't judge an NFL schedule until week 8 of that season.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

gotta give you credit fry, fighting it till the end. i keep saying this so i hope it is not a trend, but i agree with DW, people dont know how to be patient. if locker is sooooo much better and ready to take over, why you guys so worried? he will get his chance, its not like we rented him from the redbox.

6. Fry

I'm not even fighting anything. I'm not opposed to Locker starting and never will be as long as he EARNS IT. If he's the better of the two he should be the starter. Same goes for Hasselback.

If the competition is clearly tilted in Locker's favor at the end of camp and preseason and Hasselback is the still the starter then I'll be right there with everyone else griping, but at this point saying one guy should start over the other is pointless. No one knows what kind of improvement Locker has made and no one knows how much more comfortable Matt is in his second year in this offense.

The only ways anyone can justify picking Locker right now is based on hope and the assumption that he comes in and doesn't miss a beat from what we did last year.

Everyone just keeps responding to my posts like I clearly want Hasselback and think Locker should sit the whole year and it irritates the hell out of me that no matter how many times I repeat myself no one comprehends what I'm saying.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

ive agreed with everything you have said in this thread. the only time i will be upset is like you said, if its obvious locker won and is still not starting.

if its dead even, and not starting, i dont know. i probably would not be upset, but wouldnt blame others if they were. its just silly to think locker should be given the job because he was a first rounder. thats how divas get made.*

*i dont think locker would be a diva regardless, but he strikes me as a guy who will get better with competition so lets use it while we have it.

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

oh i know, they think its locker supporters vs hass supporters. i had my brief argument earlier. like i said before, locker wasnt clear cut better or else we would not be having this discussion.

9. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Just watched Locker interview on Titans Online.

Who comes up with these stupid questions?

Lol, even Jake was getting annoyed. I would have snapped. One lady asked a question, then interupted is answer to literaly say the same thing again.

10. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

And how many of those seven games did he win last year? He beat two winning teams last year...TWO! Sure you can't immediately judge an NFL schedule this year based on last years results. However, the elite QB's in the league last year will still be elite Qb's this year. I don't think he will be able to keep up with the likes of Brady, Rivers, Stafford, Schaub (41-7), Roethlisberger, Cutler, Rodgers and the like. I just don't see it happening based on what I saw last year. And usually once QB's hit 37 yrs. old they tend to regress year to year. Not get better year to year.

By all means, if Hasselbeck looks to clearly be the better QB during the preseason this year, then you have to go with the best guy. However, I don't think that will be the case. I think Locker will be better suited to move the offense and score points. If it's even, I'd go with Locker because the switch would inevitably be made at some point this season anyway due to injury or poor play. And because he's the guy we drafted to be our franchise QB, not Hasselbeck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar