Who Should The Starting QB Be To Open The 2012 Season?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Jun 23, 2012.

?
  1. Matt Hasselbeck

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Jake Locker

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Not Sure At This Time

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

I apologize for thinking that our 8th overall QB pick might be decent. Maybe we should just go ahead and cut him now. Or trade him to some clueless team that thinks he's capable of being a starting QB.

I'm sorry for wanting more than average play at the QB position. It's not important, is it?

I guess we should just go with what we know Hasselbeck is capable of, an average to below average season. Who needs the playoffs? I might have better things to do come January.

Excuse me for wanting better for my team, and wanting them to move forward from assured medeocrety with Hasselbeck. Excuse me for having a little faith in our 1st round QB who has shown promise.
    I am tired of medeocre play at the most important position on our team, and the excuses given for that medeocre play.
    I guess it takes a real titans fan to be content with average. I guess I'm just not there yet. Teach me Sensei. :notworth:

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

The fans that don't want to just sit on our early first round QB? Yeah... Fickle.

DW... I know trolls are supposed to be irrational, but you could atleast be right about something to keep us on our toes.

3. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I look at it like this...

If we pretty much all agree that Locker will be the QB at SOME point next season, wouldn't it make the most sense to set him up as best as possible to succeed?

Doesn't it make the most sense to let him have the entire training camp and preseason to work on timing, routes, and chemistry with the first team? Shouldn't we go ahead and build the offense to HIS stregnths, incorporating things like bootlegs, rollouts, the occasional option, and deeper routes NOW while we can do it at a leisurely pace instead of having to do it on the fly between two games in the thick of the season?

4. seafandawghawk

seafandawghawk Starter

As I'm reading it, different people on this board have made good arguments for both of them to be the starter. To me that just shows how difficult a question it really is. And I'm already on record as favoring Locker, if only by a light margin, because of his athleticism and because it would begin the 'Locker era' this year, which probably would benefit next year's season. (In other words, even if they both were about even this year in giving the Titans a chance to win, in that scenario starting Locker would simultaneously serve as an investment in next year's success too.)

But on another message site, I did come across a scenario-- maybe the clearest and best scenario under which starting Hasselbeck would make more sense. According to a poster who spends a lot of time analyzing film and seems really good at it, Locker's accuracy issues on on intermediate passes to the left and right are footwork issues. Basically, when dropping back, the back foot-- the 'plant foot'-- should be planted at 4:30 on a pass to the right, and 2:30 on a pass to the left, which allows a qb to square his body to the receiver when striding into the throw. And this poster wrote that Locker still is inconsistent and awkward with this-- and also that its fixable but only through repetition.

The 'football IQ' advantage goes to Hasselbeck this year no matter what, just as the 'athleticism' advantage goes to Locker no matter what. Personally I'd go with Locker's athleticism. But if he hasn't fully fixed the footwork issues yet, then another year of constant repetition to create a more seamless muscle memory, while backing up Hasselbeck, might be the better way to go. Maybe?

5. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I imagine he'd get far more "reptitions" as the starter throwing to the first team offense in practice than he will holding a clipboard and playing catch with the scrubs.

6. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

I was never a VY fan. I wanted the team to draft Cutler.

7. seafandawghawk

seafandawghawk Starter

And in justice to the film analysis made by the poster on another site that I referred to, it actually was a little deeper and more detailed, and maybe I should fill it out in my summary.

A lot of the throws to the right and left are timing throws. And when Locker doesn't plant his back foot properly, he tends to hitch before releasing the pass, which disrupts the timing and also changes the window in which the receiver remains open to receive the pass. Which JL then compensates by tending to throw too high or too low. So opined one poster who studied every Locker pass from last season, breaking things down in a number of different ways.

8. seafandawghawk

seafandawghawk Starter

Not sure about that. Under the pressure of game play, it's hard to fix mechanics. What 'fixing' means in this context is developing muscle memory, so that the qb doesn't have to think about his feet when he's looking downfield at his receivers and the defense.

9. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Me too. My reaction when we took Vince was a sigh, and "Well, I hope it works."

I'm a big fan of having a QB who isn't a moron.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

I knew we weren't going to draft him but I held out hope.

I knew for the longest time the staff wanted Leinart while the bossman wanted VY.

The Titans actually lost a few fans that were Vandy fans. They went to Denver and now are with Chicago aka Vanderbilt of the North. I have never been that type of person though. I have been a Titan fan since day one and just because they don't draft a player from my favorite college won't deter my passion away from my pro team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar