Who Should The Starting QB Be To Open The 2012 Season?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Jun 23, 2012.

?
  1. Matt Hasselbeck

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. Jake Locker

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Not Sure At This Time

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

So if our 1st round pick has shortcommings, then he should not see the field. Well, when do you suggest that he start? When he is mechanically perfect in every practice?

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, guys like Andy Dalton, Christian Ponder, Cam Newton, or any rookie/second year QB had shortcommings? Did those teams wait until their QB was perfect in every single way to give them the opportunity to play? Or did they hide their 1st rd. pick behind a guy that isn't getting their team anywhere? I think they probably understand that doing something like that would only hold their team back.

I'm not saying Locker is perfect, but you act like he can't complete a forward pass. He seemed to be able to last year. And in fact the only way I would sit him behind a 37 yr. old declining QB, who isn't going to even come close to taking this team to the playoffs this year, is if Locker actually couldn't complete a forward pass. But he can, he will take his bumps, but he will improve little by little every game, that's how it works. That's why every other team in the league is going with their young guy. Because it actually gets a team moving forward in its progression to find that franchise QB that every team in this league so desperately needs.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Tebow actually started games.

3. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

No. I'd wait until he is the best QB in those practices. If his mechanics are still sloppy and he has issues throwing mid-range passes accurately then Hasselbeck is better.

None of those guys you listed outside of Newton were going to be their teams starters week 1. Dalton was going to sit behind Palmer. Ponder sat behind McNabb. Gabbert barely beat out an injured Garrard and was named the starter a week before the season began. The only difference between us and them is the guy we planned on starting for us was able to pass for 3000+ yards.

It's fun to put words in people's mouth.

You can see into the future now? Can you give me some game results so I can make some money in Vegas this year?

Hasselbeck will be healthy at the start of the season and will most likely have a better running game and receiving core. Yes, Hasselbeck lost some zip on his passes in the 2nd half of the season but he had a shoulder injury during that time. I'd say a healthy Hasselbeck gives use just as good of a chance to win as anyone we've ever had behind center.

You can also develop a guy by fixing what is wrong with him before outing him in. The Packer's spent three years rebuilding Rodgers mechanics before he even played a meaningful snap. Steve Young sat behind Montana. McNair sat on the bench for his first two seasons. Vince Young took a giant step forward mechanically sitting behind Collins in 2008.

There is no reason to sacrifice wins this season to develop Locker if he is not the best QB in training camp.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

trade for vince and haynesworth

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

If the coaches pick Hass I'll be just fine with that but like most I wanna see Locker. I will not cry like a baby or pretend to know more about the QB deal than the people who make those calls.
    Unlike most, I will be fine with Locker being mediocre and bad at times and losing the majority of those early tough games. In other words I'm more interested in the getting on with the future than trying to milk the final drops of Hasselblood as a starter. Matt will be a decent backup. I hope they keep him around for a while in that role.

6. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

What flavor pack of gum should we offer? I bet we can get them both for that nasty ginsing or horehound kind.

7. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

Whoever moves the offense up and down the field better and scores more points is "better". Whoever provides more opportunity for W's is better.

You can try to debate those teams' thought processes in regards to what they planned on doing with their Rookie QB's all you want, but the point is that those guys are not sitting on the bench. And the point is that none of those teams went out and picked up Matt Hasselbeck. The Vikings picked up McNabb, but they quickly realized that was a mistake.

You are the one that said, "He has no business starting for us". Now I assume you meant that if he is still the same QB that we all saw last year that, "He has no business starting for us." I highly disagree. Even you would say that he put more life in to this offense than did Hasselbeck?

It's not about seeing into the future, it's about being rational and realistic. It's funny that you mention Vegas because they have us favored in two games all year for a reason. Do you really see a declining 37 yr. old Matt Hasselbeck beating the Brady, Rivers, Stafford, Shaub (41-7 ring a bell?), Roethlisberger, Cutler, Rodgers...Would you like me to keep going? Are you in denial, or do you really believe that?
    I don't envision very many W's when I think of Hasselbeck going against those QB's. Sorry if you don't like that, I don't either but I think the majority of people who don't have their Titan blinders on would agree with me. It's not that hard to see. I know it sounds mean, but it's the reality of football. It all ends the same way for QBs at this stage in their respective careers.

If you keep using injuries as excuses for a 37 yr. old QB, he'll be playing until he's 50. It's nothing personal, but he can't consistently compete with the big boys anymore. Besides beating the Ravens in Week 2 last year, what teams did he beat that make you think he could take us to the playoffs this year against this schedule?

Maybe the 8th overall pick last year would be able to win a game or two. What did he show you last year that would cause you to think that we would be sacrificing wins? Did he not get the offense moving when he came in for Hasselbeck? Do you not think that he could at the very least beat the average to below average teams that Haselbeck beat last year?

I think when it's all said and done, that Locker will reveal himself to be the best QB. I get the sense that he will in fact be able to move the offense better during these preseason games. I guess I think more highly of Locker than you do. And you think more highly of Hasselbeck than I do (obviously). I have my impression of the situation based on what I saw last year from both guys, as do you. Maybe when the preseason games roll around, the answer to the question will become more evident.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Anyone who picks anything other "not sure" isn't making an informed decision.

Whoever wins in camp/preseason should be the starter.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Did those guys have a veteran in front of them who was better? No. Not even a guy who would give them competition for the starting job. Jake Locker is in a position where he has to be better, or at least even, with the guy he's behind.

10. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

You don't think that Jake Locker is better than a 37 yr. old declining QB who will not even be healthy enough to start an entire year? I have to totally disagree here, they may be close as far as starting week 1. But once Locker catches on, as a result of playing time, it won't even be close, and what you just said will look very silly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar