Who should AFC South teams want to win on Sunday?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>I've done no survey to see which team AFC South players would like to see win Super Bowl XLIII in Tampa on Sunday.</p> <p>I have done some thinking about which result would be the healthiest for each AFC South team and why.</p> <p><strong>Houston Texans</strong></p> <p>The Cardinals.</p> <p>It's a copycat league and the Texans may already feel like they're built in the mold of Arizona.</p> <p>They are a string passing offense with a top-flight receiver in Andre Johnson who works with a middling defense.</p> <p>Also, if the Cardinals win their first Super Bowl, it would be an encouraging sign for the league's youngest franchise as it tries to show it can hang with the big boys in its division.</p> <p><strong>Indianapolis Colts</strong></p> <p>Cardinals.</p> <p>The Cardinals probably found some reason to believe in their drive to the Super Bowl from what the Colts did just two seasons ago, when a defense that had some major struggles during the regular season clicked at the right time and more than sufficiently supplemented a team centered around offensive stars.</p> <p>An Arizona win would offer some reassurance to the Colts that it's possible to go get the Lombardi Trophy without running particularly effectively. The Cardinals finished the regular season ranked dead last in rushing offense, just behind -- you guessed it -- the Colts. Not that Indy shouldn't set about solving its rushing issues.</p> <p><strong>Jacksonville Jaguars</strong></p> <p>The Steelers.</p> <p>Jacksonville's playoff road win at Pittsburgh just a year ago was the franchise's biggest moment since 1999. Seeing the Steelers win it all in a season when the Jags lost by 5 to the Steelers in a grudge match could serve as a reminder to Jacksonville that it was&nbsp; capable of playing that caliber of football not too long ago.</p> <p>The Jaguars aim to be a physical team in the Steelers mold, so a win for Arizona, more of a finesse team, would do little to reinforce Jacksonville's mindset as it rebuilds.</p> <p><strong>Tennessee Titans</strong></p> <p>Cardinals.</p> <p>The Titans pride themselves on having a physical mindset akin to Pittsburgh's, and Tennessee beat the Steelers this season. But a Super Bowl win for the Titans' old archenemy would only reinforce a tenant they aren't going to stray from anyway.</p> <p>An Arizona win, on the other hand, would show Tennessee that a receiver-driven team can not only function but succeed in the NFL. That may be akin to making the Titans swallow their medicine, but for a team that may be an explosive receiver away from having a dangerous offense, the message is one that needs to echo through team headquarters.</p>

More...

2. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

a receiver-driven team can not only function but succeed in the NFL. That may be akin to making the Titans swallow their medicine, but for a team that may be an explosive receiver away from having a dangerous offense, the message is one that needs to echo through team headquarters.

wurd

3. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

The only AFC team I will ever root for in the SB is the Titans. So, Go Cardinals!

The fact that R. Hill and L. Thompson stayed on the field as much as they did tells me that the Titans will do none of the following:
    -draft a WR in the 1st round (maybe not even in the 2nd)
    -snag (specifically overpay) and sign a WR from FA
    I wouldn't even be surprised if JMac was still on the roster come training camp.
    Fish is probably still convinced that a solid run game and lights out defense will take us all the way. I see them drafting a WR in the later rounds, then continue to groom and develop Gage, Jones and Hawk and let any rookie WR learn under them.
    I would love to have Housh on the team for a year or two. He'd be like another Moulds per se, but would be more effective.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

How the heck does Hill and Thompson staying on the field too long say anything about what the Titans will do in the draft or FA concerning a WR?

If anything Hill and Thompson are the reason the Titans have focused more on building the defense over the last few years at the cost of WR. We drafted Griffin to play CB or S didn't we (could have had Bowe)? We also signed Harper a couple of years ago and if Pacman didn't have his head up his arse he would have been a high draft pick playing CB right now. Hard to argue with the success so far IMO. The Titans also drafted a playmaking RB and I'm not sure how anyone could have any complaints with that. Defense and running game were the emphasis obviously.

However, now that the defense has been addressed (because of Pacman having his head up his arse we still need a young CB) and we have CJ you likely will see WR get some added attention. Remember, we did use a 3rd and 4th round pick on WRs just a couple of years ago. We used another 4th rounder last year (used a 3rd rounder on a TE). Unfortunately the picks haven't worked out real well so far although I think Hawkins has a future.

My guess is there is a high probablility we go WR and CB in the first two rounds depending on who is the BPA at those two positions. Still, we don't want the Titans drafting by position. It is always better to take the BPA IMO.

I also think the Titans will get serious about FA WRs. With FA WRs however you can only pursue what is out there. Although I was hoping we would have made a serious offer to Berrian (almost 1000 yards on the flipping Vikings with a remarkable 20 yards per catch average) who would have been a great compliment to Gage the Titans apparently felt the same as many posters who expressed concerns about Berrian's talents. The FO has to be kicking themselves a little on that one. We did try and sign Stallworth and Curtis the year before but they decided to take less money rather than play in our anemic passing offense. I'm happy Stallworth opted out because he sucks. Curtis would have been nice.

Bottom line is say we signed Curtis year before last or Berrian last year. For the most part problem solved. I hope we don't miss out this time around.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Stubbornness. Duh.
    Fish keeping those two in when it was apparent to everyone and their mother that they both sucked ***, is the same thing as Fish/MR/FO NOT drafting a WR in the first round when everyone and their mother knows we need a playmaker WR.

See above, as you missed my point entirely.

We won't draft a WR in the first round, period.

What in our 10 year history makes you think they're going to up and put that much empasis on the FA WRs now? :irked:
    We may go after one (Housh comes to mind if Cincy does let him go), but we aren't going to overpay them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar