Who do you not want to see?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titanup1982, Mar 9, 2011.

?
  1. Blaine Gabbert

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Cam Newton

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Marcel Dareus

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Jake Locker

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Prince Amukamara

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. Nick Fairley

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Robert Quinn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That's not true at all. Never?:sad2:

What QB was not successful in the nfl because he couldn't take a snap?

You make outrageous comments. No accuracy? No idea how to play the position. Please keep those comments on hand so we can scrutinize them a couple of years from now.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If 20% of Cam Newton's pass attempts were screen passes then how did he average over 10 yards per pass attempt? How did Auburn's top 3 Wrs have a combined average yards per catch of 17?

If 20% of Cam Newton's passes were screen passes how did he manage a touchdown every 9.3 attempts?

He is just some dumb idiot who "has no idea how to play the quarterback position"?

Lets take Ponder's pass attempts, eliminate every dink and dunk and every screen and then see what his comp % is. Even if we assume every one of those 20% screens was a completion Newton still completed 57% of the rest of his passes. Jake Locker only completed 55% of ALL his passes.

Did Bigitan's hero, KC and the sunshine band Joyner a self described scientist bring up those big stats? Does just any QB put up those kind of numbers?

Every Newton basher talks as of all he represents is size and athleticism but this guy was a big time producer.

He makes plays. Big plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1eYvnRQZbc

3. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

As far as that type of QB, I don't compare him to Russell, he is nothing like Jamarcus.
    My main concern with Cam is if he will have the same self entitlement issues VY had. No one knows the answer to that, and they won't until they draft him. Everything else I brought up is a question, and again, no one knows the answer. Can he read defenses? You pointed out he played in a one read system, Gabbert did too, nobody knows how either will progress in going to the 2nd and 3rd reads.
    Work ethic? I actually don't think it is a problem, but anytime you draft a QB that is a concern. I never said it was a problem, just one of the questions I had.
    Losing? Again, you and I can agree we haven't seen this, and that is not a knock on, but it is something he will have to prove at the next level. That when the team goes south that he can pick them up and regroup.
    Again, I have no problem with him saying he wants to be the greatest QB of all time.
    When people say we don't want another QB of that type, they are not meaning black, they are meaning a self-entitled star who puts himself ahead of the team. Some are also meaning a run-first QB, but Cam is a much more developed passer then VY was coming out of Texas.
    All of this is really pointless though because I really don't see Cam getting past Buffalo. Perfect fit for him with Chan Gailey, and he can go and sit behind Fitzpatrick for a season and learn.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Another thing to note about Newton and Gabbert both is that the offenses they played in hardly used RBs as receivers at all. So Newton's 67% comp rate was not benefited at all by little dink and dunk passes to the backs. Short passes to RBs often not even past the line of scrimmage will boast most Qbs comp rates. Of course KC Joyner would miss that little point. How convenient.

Ok? He played at a community college in 09 right?

I have seen nothing about this guy that would indicate that. Would you say that about any of the other QBs in this draft?

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

You can use Ponder as a reference all you want, I don't want him either. I've never seen anything to suggest he'll be more than a serviceable fill-in in the NFL and I've watched every single one of his starts the last two years.

I'd take Locker in the second, not the 8th overall. I'd take Newton in the second, not 8th overall.

I frankly just don't like Newton the person and the football player. I think he's arrogant and a VY clone who only played 14 games of real college football.

And I've already seen your response to the VY clone argument, you can save it. The similarities are there and it goes waaay beyond skin color.
    Yes. And he's not my hero, I think he makes a great argument, and since you're a HUGE fan of random statistics I thought you could appreciate what he had to say.

6. 24

24 Starter

My issue with Newton has always been his accuracy. He has a really bad drop back, and it leads to very inaccurate passes. Accuracy always starts with the feet. And, I will fight you to the end on this issue RT.

7. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Yes, Ryan Mallett....

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Dude, Ryan Mallett isn't black....

:sarcasm:

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I've yet to see a shred of evidence that Newton will be able to read an NFL defense. Vince never learned (and never cared to try to learn) and look where we are now.

People can post as many videos of Newton doing amazing things in college as they want. Those same exact videos exist for Vince.

The next Titans QB absolutely must be able to conquer the mental side of the game and I am unconvinced that Newton can do it.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It's between Gabbert and Cam. I voted Gabbert. I could actually stomach Cam Newton after a while... not Gabbert though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar