Whitney Mercilus

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans2004, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

After watching video of Mercilus against Wisconsin and Ohio St, I sure hope that he isn't the Titans pick at #20. The kid has absolutely no rush moves. Only one time in the 2 games did he try anything other than a speed rush and it was a very poor effort at a spin move. Most of the time he wasn't being double teamed either. I don't see a great burst off the snap either. He also got handled easily in the run game....I think their certainly will be a higher rated player available at #20. I don't give Mercilus a first rnd grade.

Coples videos aren't really that impressive either.

I think this draft class at DE has a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rnd talent in it.

I like Ingram and Upshaw because they at least both show a decent spin move and you can tell by how they play that they have passion for the game.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Stan

Stan Infinite

I've never really liked Mercilus either. He's only being mentioned as a first round talent because he led the nation in sacks this year. I would be sorely disappointed if he is our choice.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Mercilus, Coples, and Branch.

Best DEs in this class.

And they'll be fine. :)

4. Deuce Wayne

And judging a DE by what they do vs Wisconsin and OSU...

uhhh...since when is that fair? lol

Though he had some great plays vs double teams in the OSU game... a sack where he blew through the double to get the sack and force a fumble. A tackle in the backfield after beating a double team.

You may want to watch the video again.

Letting you know now... If you pass on Mercilus... you're on the hot seat.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well at least with Mercilus you know he can get better. Whereas Coples is about as good as he'll ever be. The guy has no drive, seems perfectly content jogging around instead of hitting the sprint button.

6. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

Mercilus had some dominant games last season, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to taking him with the 20th pick.

7. Deuce Wayne

I doubt he makes it to 20th.

He's so raw, yet could still be good at his current ability.

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

On the inside move were he made the sack it looked to me like their was some confusion in the blocking scheme. Looked like the LT thought he was going to get inside help and he got none.

I want to like these guys, but I just can't get excited about them. As a prospect I think that Morgan's film was much more impressive than Mercilus in terms of pass rushing skills. I just don't see many moves from these guys. If they don't beat them with speed then they are done.

Now Coples at least does show the ability to hold the edge more.

I have not watched much on Branch yet.

9. Deuce Wayne

If you thought Morgan's film was more impressive than anyone not named Chris Henry... I think we've found our problem.

lol

10. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I could be wrong but I thought Mercilus had 3 sacks against OSU. 16 sacks and a record 9 forced fumbles in one year. I could live with that. It's not like he was playing against Conference USA.

He looks like an athletic freak that is willing to learn. I'd have no problems taking him at 20.

The only thing that scares me is the one year of production, but to me that shows me he's learned and improved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar