White proposes nickname for Carolina backfield

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- LenDale White had reporters rolling Wednesday afternoon when asked for his assessment of all the talk Monday night suggesting Carolina's Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams qualified as "Smash and Dash."

[​IMG]
    Paul Kuharsky/ESPN.com LenDale White and Chris Johnson make up Tennessee's "Smash and Dash."

"If they want a nickname, I can nickname them: 'Identity and Theft,'" said White, who's successfully paired with the speedy rookie Chris Johnson this season. "...I was upset because I made that phrase up myself. I mean I made it up. I don't know about NFL Network and all those other guys. I heard somebody say, 'Batman and Robin,' that's like cute, that's for them. If they want that name they can have it. The 'Smash and Dash' is something I made up."

To be fair, I think "Smash and Dash" was one of a variety of nicknames that floated through chat boards, newscasts, articles and blogs from people desperate for an alternative to the "Thunder and Lightning" tandem tag. The two appeared together at a podium after they keyed a franchise record 332 rushing yards in Week 7 on Oct. 19.

"We've got a copyright and everything for it, I'll make sure I show the documents," White said. "It's well trademarked and it's copy written. I don't know if we're going to take legal action or not."

He gave two T-shirts to one of the team's media relations officials with a note to send to the Carolina backfield. Earlier he joked he would "put 'fraudulent activity' on there.

"I've been swacced. If you guys don't know what that is, it's swagger-jacked and I can't believe that happened to me," he said, spelling out swacced upon request. "Somebody messed up my whole swag and that's not cool."

Johnson was much more low-key about the whole deal.

"I heard about it," he said. "It's just a name. It didn't matter to me. We staked a claim to it, but I know who made it up, some fans or some commentators probably called them that. I'm not sure if they themselves really said they were 'Smash and Dash.' I'm not too much worried about it."

Fullback Ahmard Hall leaned in White's direction, but without the one-liners.

"To see those guys take that name, it really upset me," he said. "Because it's something that we're building, camaraderie and different things come about when you're having a great season. To see them just take that name, it upset me. Think of something else, be a little creative."

More...

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

LOL That's awesome, I wouldn't mind that shirt either. But yea when I saw a Panthers fan holding up a "Smash and Dash" sign I was like "WTF, that's not their name."

4. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Lendale is not a smash. He's more like a fall forward for 1/2 yard. I think Stand & Deliver fits our tandem much better.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

or Smokey & the RobTheEndz, or simply Smokey & The Bandit ....or for the people who are Lendale faithfuls, Smokey & the PoundItIn's

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I love it... White is destined for a stint behind the ESPN desk when he retires.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I saw them at Kroger the other day. For a shirt at Kroger, $15 seems high, but I guess it's for charity. If they were white I'd buy several, but I'm not huge on the blue background...

btw, what happened to our gotitans.com t-shirts?

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

$15 is cheap for a t-shirt down here...lol

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I lol'd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar