Which TV

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Gunny, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

We liked ours to
    but I didn't like the idea that I wasn't going to be able to input 1080p
    the side effect was that Ps3 dvd playback was downconverted to 480p
    which looks bad compared to the same dvd upconverted to 1080p

it would still be here had I not inserted a ps3 into my system
    and (luckily) Costco had dropped the price of the SXRD to the same price as the Toshiba ...... thank gd for the generous Costco return policy (which btw is no longer in existence. All TV sales in the future are limited to 90 day policies)

I agree the Toshiba is a good set, I just don't like being mislead
    1080p is written all over the box, but is never mentioned in the manual and it never achieved that resolution

2. Toly

Toly Free your mind

But hasn't this changed with recent Plasmas versions? Especially the burn-in issue, which I've read is not a problem anymore for the most newest Plasmas.

Here's a text from the links I provided on the last page...

...there are a variety of compelling reasons why plasma should be the preferred choice among gamers and hardcore home theater enthusiasts... Chief among these reasons is the fact that plasma displays are capable of producing significantly higher quality imagery than LCDs. Plasmas can produce much blacker-blacks and brighter colors, which makes both games and movies look vivid and captivating. Modern plasma displays also have very fast response-times and as such are free of the motion-blur that characterizes some LCDs when rapid movement causes ghosting across a display.

3. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Burn in isn't really an issue any more. You don't want to leave a white image on a black screen that isn't moving for a long time, but just take some care and won't be a problem.

Puck...did you download the latest update with the Playstation 3? It now upconverts to 1080p.

I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma. Looks great. At work we use 50" JVC's and they look very good. In the kitchen at work we have a Sony Bravia XBR Wega. It is a 32" LCD. For the money they paid, I am very unimpressed. In the professional world, you can't touch Sony monitors. But consumer world, they are good, but by no means the best. Bottom line, if it looks good to you, then it is.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Puck, are you saying the Toshiba doesn't play true Blu-Ray discs and has to convert it?

I was hoping to make the move to the PS3 around Christmas.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Toshiba 1080p DLP's do not actually accept 1080p input via any input
    1080p is reached by mirror wobulation, a scenario similar to 'upscaling"

if you were to take a Ps3 or a Blu-Ray unit and connect it to the Toshiba (mine was the 62HM196) then enter the settings on the ps3 and enable 1080P you are confronted with a blank screen ..... furthermore, regular DVD's are displayed in 480p

when connecting to a set like the Sony, Blu-Ray and standard DVD are both displayed in full 1080p. thats why I Returned the Toshiba. I staretd to call Toshiba and raise hell, but decided to say "puck it" and went to costco to see what they had. the toshi was 2299 and the sony 2399. however, considering i had paid 2599 for the toshi back in sept06, i decided to exchange and pocket the extra cash (which I spent on a Harmony 770 remote)

6. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Hey Jeff...

I have a 1080i Panasonic with with PS3. 1080p is nice, but not necessary. If you ever want to come over and take a look, give me a shout.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Hey Puck, what's the difference in quality of the 1080p and 1080i?

Thanks for the invite, VnT. I'd like to see your setup.

8. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

There isn't a big enough difference in quality that most will see. I have worked on a number of 720p and 1080i projects and it all depends how it is shot and lit. At the end of the day, the world, in my opinion, will go 1080i. It is the easiest one that the local stations will be able to convert to. That 'p' makes it very expensive.

9. OILERTATTOO

OILERTATTOO Starter

Puck, I used to feel the same way.

I recently gave my 4 year old 61" DLP to my mother and father in law. It was replaced with this.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is the new 63" Samsung 1080p Plasma. Model FP-T6374.

I was against plasma for fear of burn in as well. Samsung claimed that image retention and burn in are a thing of the past with their anti burn in phospher tech and anti burn in features such as pixel shift, white screen and rolling screen.

I was going to go with the new 72" Samsung DLP, but my wife really wanted the plasma and after much research, I decided to jump into plasma land.

Plasma is extremely fast because of its phospher tech and is as fast as CRT. I have not seen a smoother faster picture.

I watched some Blu Ray and HD DVD this past weekend and had zero IR even with the black bars above and below the picture.

The key is this with plasma, you have to baby it for the first 100 hours or so, which I hit this weekend. Once you get past that magic number and the set settles, you have to be really abusive to the set to cause permanent burn in. So, don't pause any still images on the screen for hours or anything like that. Try to keep almost everything full screen.

I have played many hours of APF 2K8 and have seen zero IR. Gears has never looked better. The only time I saw any IR was the first few days of having the set and it was after watching a Blu Ray movie. But, as soon as I went back to a full screen picture, IR was gone.

I am watching my 4:3 material stretched to avoid IR, but should be able to go with gray bars once I get past the 200 - 250 hour mark.

Colors are perfect, PC and Games look excellent and the Plasma fully trumps the picture on my 46" Samsung 1080p LCD (which is already phenomenal) in the bedroom.

I think Plasma is the perfect choice for responsible television viewers. Especially since their pricing has dropped. I never burned in any CRT that I ever owned (even HD CRT), so I fully expect to do the same with my new plasma.

I am officially a plasma convert. Biggest downfall is the fact that plasma panels are reflective like CRT. Most new plasmas come with an anti-glare coating on the glass which reduces glare, though it does not eliminate it. In my viewing conditions, I am having zero problems.

I will say though, the new Sony XBR5 SxRD units are going to be nice and will have a very small footprint, even @ 70".

The only way I could be happier is if the screen was 72". Of course, my wallet would not be so happy if that was the case.

Later

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

good choice

just keep in mind, that if you ever do get IR, their is a way to reverse it

loop a high color, multiple scene program overnight - that should do it

pixel shift (in theory) should keep it down
    the reason letterbox doesn't burn in is probably because the bars are not scanned with your display, on some older RPTV's it was

I'm sure Plasma technology has made significant strides recently, I hope it works out for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar