Which TV

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Gunny, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

So now you've had plenty of time to check it out what do you think? Right choice? :)

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Oh yeah, noticeable difference in quality from the previous one.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Nice, our roommate bought one last year and we loved it. Nature channel on HD is unreal...

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Incorrect
    Plasma's are poor choices for any content that has static images (like HUD's) and fast movement due to sluggish refresh rates

there are pro's to Plasma ... just not for gamers and sports fans
    they're great though if you watch alot of vivids like Planet Earth

Hitachi makes an awesome Plasma, next up would be Panasonics

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I have a big screen Pioneer Elite Plasma as well as a Samsung DLP in another room and a Panasonic LCD in a third and I'll take the Pioneer over any of them for all content. I've heard that refresh rate jazz before but even comparing the crowd in a HD NBA broadcast the Pioneer wins frame for frame for the least amount of fast moving image blur..

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

however, Plasma is still not a good option for gaming to to burn-in issues

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

My suggestion for anyone looking for a large beautiful display would be the Sony Grand Wega KDS-60A2020 1080p SXRD, which is a version of LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicone). This set knocks the socks off the Toshiba 62hm196 1080p DLP that I replaced. Toshiba claims that it is a 1080p set - yet it does NOT accept 1080p input via any terminal. It attains the 1920x1080 resolution by 'wobulation' which de-interlaces the "i" and makes it a "p"

I had a few issues with DLP (rainbow and Black/White - refresh rate - artifacting and chasing pixelation on fast scenes) I have yet to see any issues like this with the SXRD and resolution is up about 20%. don't get me wrong though, the Toshiba is an excellent set, but for about the same money, the Sony SXRD is the better buy

imo, it is easily one of the better displays available regardless of technology and quite possibly is the best Micro-Display available (DLP / HD-IDLA / Lcos / SXRD) and it maintains alot of the Pro's of both LCD and Plasma at a price point comparable with RPJ's
    [​IMG]
    ($2400 @ Costco)

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

LCOS Projection Sony SXRD / JVC HD-ILA

LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) technology, a souped-up derivative of LCD technology, is the hot new kid on the block in high-resolution displays. Rather than passing light through a transparent LCD panel to generate an image, in LCOS displays the light is bounced off of a reflective substrate onto which liquid crystals have been applied. There are two classes of LCOS light engines: single-chip and three-chip. Three-chip displays use a system of prisms to split a single light source into its red, green and blue components (analogous to the three tubes in a CRT projection system). Discrete video modulations are applied individually to the three resulting light paths, which are then recombined by another prism array to create the composite image. LCOS technology is used in displays of 50" and larger.

Strengths
    LCOS' calling card is ultrahigh resolution. A typical high-resolution LCOS panel comprises 1080 pixels x 1920 pixels, making it the first fixed-pixel imaging system capable of faithfully reproducing every detail in a 1080-line image (LCD and plasma HD panels typically "scale," or interpolate, 1080-line images in order to display them in the panels' 1024 actual lines). Additionally, LCOS was the first technology capable of true 1080p (progressive-scan) display (although competing displays have since equalled the feat). Visible pixelization (known as "screen-door effect") is virtually eliminated at normal viewing distances with LCOS, because the cell structure of the panels features very little space between the individual pixels. And because the light passes through the liquid crystals twice on its way to the projection lens (once between lamp and mirror, and once more when reflected back toward the projection lens), LCOS improves upon the traditionally marginal contrast performance of LCD displays, while sharing LCD's imperviousness to burn-in.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I have a Toshiba 62". Very pleased. Consumer Reports agrees.

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar