Which came first?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tungtide, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperTitan

SuperTitan Camp Fodder

VY's passing stats will improve once we have a WR that opposing DEFs know that break a game open. Right know, DEFs care more about stopping VY than they do about stopping the WRs.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

You can't argue with that. Sorry folks.

Last week:

280 yards receiving.

This week:

46 yards receiving.

Now ask yourself: What changed? The receivers? Or the quarterback?

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

The pass attempts. 42 to 14.

4. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

I normally stay out of these little gripe fests. However, lets get something straight. VY was not the reason for the 46 yards this last week. Gage lost 44 yards due to his pushing off. Williams and Ganther dropped passes that hit them in their chest and hands respectively. Troupe gave up on a catchable ball. He even admits that. Eric Moulds and Cramer also dropped passes.

Drives stalled due to dropped balls, penalties, and blown assignments. As when VY was sacked and gave up the delay of game penalty.

Only 2% difference in completion percentages between the two weeks.

What changed? The number of attempts. The Game Plan. The Opponent.

5. DJB

DJB Starter

I asked myself: The attempts and the game situation changed.

6. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

I am not questioning Vince. He is a second year starting QB who wins more than he loses and that's alright with me. What I am questioning is the receivers around him. Maybe he has to work on his accuracy and timing, but in order for that to work he has to have consistant production out of his other weapons, and they surely must do a better job of catching the ball. Keep in mind that all of these receivers are being paid very good money to do what they have to to catch the ball. If they don't fully understand that then the Titans need to find some receivers that do.

7. teegee

teegee Guest

It's a combination of lack of accuracy by the QB, drops by the receivers, conservative playcalling, and so on.

But I do want to point out that the Titans' receivers have actually done a very good job this season of holding onto the ball, so hopefully the Raiders' game was an aberration.

I looked up the following info about dropped passes, and found this: Going into this last game against the Raiders, the Titans receivers had dropped very few balls -- the Titans QBs had thrown 117 passes that were classified as "catchable". Of those 1117, the receivers had dropped just 5.

Those 5 drops were 2nd fewest in the NFL (SD had 4). And the 4.3% of drops/total catchable throws (5 of 117) was 4th best in the NFL.

8. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

Nothing like stats to put things in perspective. However, it may not be the number of drops that are in question but the importance of the ones that were. If we are passing less then it is even more important for the receivers to convert the big plays, or the run game will pay the price. Short passing
    and run game keep the chains moving but deep threat keeps the defense honest and for sure will help Vince with his options at the line of scrimmage.

9. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

It can't be both? Vince isn't playing well AND we have one of weakest groups of WRs in the league? List some teams you think our WR corps is obviously better than.

10. Nine

Nine Starter

I believe it's the chicken and the egg.

The entire passing game is simply dysfunctional and out of sync. Virtually every week, it seems we see poor performance from the QB or the receivers. It can't be one or the other....you gotta have both. If they're not in sync, there's no way the passing game can work.

Vince was throwing the ball pretty well yesterday, but the receivers couldn't catch a cold. If not for the drops and a borderline PI penalty, it would have been one of Vince's strongest performances this year.

But then a couple weeks ago, Vince's performance against the Falcons was simply dreadful.....so much so that the receivers were never even part of the equation.

If they can get in sync, they could quickly become an efficient, effective group. (Not exactly prolific, but efficient). But until that happens, we're looking at a mediocre, inconsistent passer throwing to mediocre, inconsistent receivers. It's no wonder they're struggling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar