Where is this 'Rush 4' scheme coming from and will it end?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tuk88, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

we need to go to a 3 man rush simply to get one less guy off the line of scrimmage as to not cause an encroachment penalty or lining up in the nuetral zone. I am tired of these defense penalties!! One less guy off the line can help us with that!

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

We clearly missed having AH in the middle in several games this year... but I'm not sure he would have made the same impact had he been in. With a few exceptions we haven't been burned by QBs having all day to find the open man - they've been open as soon as the ball is snapped.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I don't buy Fisher's "winning" record for anything at all. He had the Browns to beat on for a while, then had the baby Texans and garbage Jaguars to hand him wins. Now I'm sure you could say the same for a lot of coaches, but I just happen to know the Browns, Texans, and Jags all sucked big time for a while when Fisher was beating them.

And this wasn't the year to go into some new exotic fronts. Not with Cecil in his first season running the defense. I'd expect everyone (coaches) including Mike to return next year. If we lose Mike to a head coaching job, were so screwed on offense with Fisher.

4. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

One reason no one was complaining about our defense last year was because we had arguably the best DT in the NFL playing overachieving football in a contract year without getting hurt. The scheme is fine in that case. It's not a coincidence that DE Orakpo is the lone Redskin to go to the Pro Bowl, and a rookie at that.

Could the defense have been better last year? You bet. No one's going to remember last year's defense as legendary, but with the talent they had, it could have been, all the way to the SB. Remember, as Fisher clearly stated, it's the same defense as last year, minus one player.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Marks needs a big offseason to make the jump we saw from Hayes and Jones from their rookie seasons.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

he's also had the colts twice a year since 2001 and the steelers twice a year before that.

this isn't college, every win is a quality win.

7. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

You could fire the whole d-line and defensive coordinator and have enough money for Big al.

A bunch of no bodies signed off the street would turn into instant pro bowlers (like pretty much every body who has played to the left and right of him even chitty dbs...

So yes all things considered, pay him 100 million and give every body else a pay cut..

(really, how many people owe part of their pay check to fat Albert, starting with Jim Schwartz?)

8. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

Some math on why having more players on the line of scrimmage messes up the offensive line:

4 players. 1 possible rush combination (personnel wise).
    5 players. 4 possible rush combinations (assuming DTs don't drop back).
    6 players. 8 possible rush combinations.

If I were playing on the offensive line, it's pretty easy for me to choose which scheme I would rather pass block on, and even easier for me to choose which scheme I would get a pass blocking rhythm on... and if I get into a rhythm, you can bet my QB does as well.

If there's any game to experiment with a more aggressive defensive scheme, this is it. IMO, this is a preview of what's to come next year if Fisher stays.

9. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

Sure as hell wouldnt be smart for a gambler to assume titans-4 vs Seattle will be easy money

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

No logic at al spending more than 12% of our entire cap every year on AH.

We have had bad defenses with AH. Look at 2004-2006. The redskins are 4-11 with him and 16th in total D.

Has nothing to do with being cheap they just did not want to commit that much cap space to one guy.

And he has had some off field issues and the head stomping issue.

As it is we did offer him the same deal that the bears gave tommy harris which at the time was the highest paid DT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar