When Johnson uninvolved, Texans usually lose

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>It's a simple formula: When <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4461" shape="rect" target="_new">Andre Johnson</a> catches 10 or more passes in a game, the Texans are 5-1; when he's caught fewer than 10, they are 2-7.</p> <p>The Texans fare far better with Johnson involved in the offense. Only one big performance -- a nine-catch, 131-yard game against Indianapolis in Week Five -- came in a loss.</p> <p>Sunday in a terrible loss in Oakland, Johnson caught two passes for 19 yards, which left Gary Kubiak facing questions Monday about why the Texans couldn't get Johnson more involved.</p> <blockquote> <p><strong>Were there other opportunities for Johnson after you watched the film?</strong></p> <p>"Naturally, there are calls made to try to get him the ball, to get him the ball and to get him more involved," Kubiak said. "Coverages dictated that we go some other place with the ball. I'll say it like I said [Sunday], obviously when Andre is making a lot of plays that's good for our football team. He's done a pretty good job this year and our coaches have done a great job of getting him the ball. I think he's had a pretty good year. Yesterday, he did not get any balls in the first half. Yet, we moved the ball very well in the first half. We just didn't have the points to show for it.</p> <p>"They're a good pass defense football team, give them credit. They played extremely well and we did not play as well. Part of not playing well is: Andre's part of that, the O-line's part of that, the quarterback's (part of that), we're all part of that. So, naturally, he didn't touch the ball enough for us to win. So, it's disappointing for all of us."</p> <p><strong>Did the Raiders do anything different?</strong></p> <p>"No, they actually didn't even match up with him. They didn't send 21 [corner <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4489" shape="rect" target="_new">Nnamdi Asomugha</a>] with him in every situation like we thought they would. They did play us in a lot of man coverage. When you play the Raiders, you've got to beat man to be successful. So, you've got to go outside and do a good job as a receiver and beat man coverage. We've got to find a way to get him the ball as far as making the throws and those types of things. But when they've got us down by two touchdowns, they did play a lot of zone coverage on us. They played more two deep and quarter-quarter half."</p> </blockquote>

More...

2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Well as I said in another thread the way Nnamdi shut down Johnson makes him an attractive free agent for us.

3. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Schaub looked like crap all day. I was switching between games. He was making HORRIBLE choices. I just dont think he plays very well away from home.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Awesome'gwa is the best corner in the league, imo. Probably searching for Nate Clements type money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar