Whats your salary cap philosophy

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Titans new owner Tommy Smith is on record saying we'll be as active as our cap allows us to be this free agency (beginning March 11th).

I know its a little silly to compare real life situations to the video game Madden (a game many here play), but often times gamers are forced to decide between keeping expensive proven veterans or taking a risk on a cheap rookie.

As it stands now, our team has roughly $8M to spend (without cuts), but its expected we'll have more cash to spend upon dumping some dead weight (Dave Stewart, Moise Fokou, and others).

Up to this point Titans GM Ruston Webster has chosen to take advantage of nearly every cent the league allows teams to spend on personnel, but is that how you like seeing it done?

Whats YOUR salary cap strategy?

2. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Spend it like a drunk sailor...

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. JCBRAVE

All or most?

4. titans92790

titans92790 Starter

Piss it away on worthless players who either get injured, arrested, or suck.

You know...the usual.

5. Renfro95

Renfro95 Starter

I usually sign 1 big free agent, then a lot of cheaper guys. I save my money, cause I hate having to worry about cap space. I never get end up with the all star team. When I do spend big, its typically on the offensive /defensive front or the ever elusive (for me) stud LB. All in all, I am fairly conservative with cap space.

6. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Honestly why not?

As long as we are being strategical in our decisions, we should be using every advantage we can get which means using every penny. Now, I am very glad we didn't get Mario Williams in FA the year we could have. It would have been a mistake to pay that much. We need to get as much value for our dollar as possible.

We'll be cutting some soon and hopefully signing many that we want, like, and need. The FA is so important for setting up for the draft. Let's fill those holes.

7. JCBRAVE

Jeff Fisher once said he'd rather sign thirteen $1M/yr guys than one $13M/yr guy, I always thought that was a wise way to go about spending.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm going after a defensive impact player and would be willing to spend the $$$.

9. JCBRAVE

I agree, defense is the way to go.

The only other place we could spend the money is on a Tackle, and that can be addressed in the draft for way less money.

Defense still lacks an elite DE, a true No.2 DT, LB, and DB. Gotta pay a defender or two this March.

But whats your ideal way we spend? All of it, or hold some back?

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I have no problem spending all of it, if it's on the right players. Don't overspend just to fill a need, build through the draft. I'm more of a build through the draft than spend on FAs. However, if you can get players like Andy Levitre, then spend.

This year I would love: TJ Ward, Brian Orakpo, Jared Veldheer, Vontae Davis, Aqib Talib, Lamarr Houston, Paul Soliai, Karlos Dansby, or Donald Butler.

I would have no problem spending on any of those FAs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar