What's wrong with the Titans...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

We have seen a carry over from the pres-season on a few fronts.

Run Game
    First, the OL was very inconsistent in run blocking and we have seen this in both the Raiders game and Steelers game. Some of our guys are getting manhandled up front and it's causing CJ a lot of problems. Take out his breakaway runs and he doesn't have anything close to even a 4 ypc. Point being, we're not consistent running the ball and our vaunted OL doesn't look so good right now. Some will chalk this up to the Richard Seymours, but our interior 3 had a big problem controlling the Steelers BACKUP NT. That's NOT good!

CJ - Stop trying to throw yourself into people who are twice your size!

Passing Game
    Kenny Britt better get his act together or he's gonna hurt this offense big time by getting benched!

Our TE's (who we have invested quite a bit into) are outmatched by the better LB's in the game. Scaife has blocking problems and Stevens has a hard time separating. And where's Cook??? UGH!

CJ better start doing a better job in pass protection or KC will become our starter after VY gets killed!

VY needs to get back to checking the ball down, throwing it away or running earlier when he's confused by a complex defense he hasn't seen before. The coaching staff needs to help here.

Special Teams
    Mariani is too slow. Our coverage unit ALREADY gave up a TD (even though somehow griffin getting blocked in the back didn't get flagged).

Coaching
    I know CJ wants 2500yds, but you MUST get him out of a ballgame we are comfortably ahead in or at least give Ringer the majority of carries (as in the end of the Raider game). We need CJ healthy and with something left in the tank for the playoffs. Individual records are nice to talk about after the season, but during the season, our focus needs to be on WINNING THE SUPERBOWL!!!

Same thing with VY. Let Collins come in for mop up late in the Raider game. If for nothing else, it'll give Collins a few reps he's not getting in in practice. Anyone watching the Steelers game probably noticed his timing with the WR's was off.

The Steelers outcoached us in every phase except for our great onside kick. I can't stand Lowry as a coach, but the man does come up with some impressive trick plays!!!

Dinger needs to give VY some help when going against a Steelers D. We moved the ball at will against the ravens vaunted D in the playoffs a couple of years ago with a good running game and a short controlled passing game. the Titans tried to do the same thing to the Steelers that we did against the Raiders, make them pay deep for 8 men in the box. Instead, the Steelers made US pay for having that mentality and sticking with it. I think CJ is very underutilized in the passing game. We need some plays where he's not just a check down or a screen guy or a flare guy. See how the Rams used to use Marshall Faulk and how they exposed teams trying to put a LB on him. When I see Harrison able to cover him, that's a BIG PROBLEM! And that's on Dinger!

Lastly, I think this game will have huge ramifications for the rest of this season and a lot of it surrounds VY and Fisher. VY has said and done all the right things, but is he really past the benching? We will see. We NEED him to be. WINNING makes things better. The Titans need it. Fisher needs it. VY needs it!

Gut

• High Five High Five x 4
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

VY better just play ball. Growing very tired of his diva-ish attitude.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First of all Mariani isn't too slow at all.
    Secondly we need to trash this CJ for 2500 yard crap and focus on winning ball games.
    I agree the game plan needs to be better. I still say you don't try to finesse a team like the Steelers and you run the ball right at them and when you pass the ball you simplify things to the point where you identify single coverage and use hot reads. You certainly don't expect to stand there for 5 seconds reviewing the field.

I also think it is stupid not to use CJ more in the passing game which means actually giving him routes to run, lining him occasionally in the slot and at the least use him to get a LB or S to commit on him. He is the fastest guy in the NFL and we don't use him like that at all in the passing game.

4. Nine

Nine Starter

A couple points.

I don't get the whole "Mariani is too slow" thing. Granted, he's not a speed burner, but through two preseason games, he has consistently demonstrated excellent vision and a good feel for navigating through traffic.

Consider his NFL ranking after two games:

Punt returns

Kick returns

Among players with 6+ returns in two weeks, Mariani's production ranks him near the top of the league, and only slightly behind the league leaders in both categories. He's also one of only a handful of players doing double duty...and of this select group, Mariani is arguably the best of the bunch. Of the players who rank ahead of him on punt returns, nobody has been more effective on kick returns....and likewise, of the full-time kick returners who rank ahead of him, none matches his production on punt returns.

Not too bad for a kid with only two games under his belt.

As far as giving CJ and Vince a bit more help...I agree completely. I especially think Ringer needs a bigger role in the offense, and I feel strongly that they would benefit by having both CJ and Ringer in the backfield together. Not only could they motion CJ out of the backfield and still have a viable running threat, they could also use CJ as a decoy to draw defenders out of place....fake an outside pitch to CJ to pull the LB's out of position, then hand it to Ringer on a quick-hitter between the tackles before the LB's can recover.

We've already seen Ahmard Hall break off big chunks of yards as defenses were focused on CJ. Ringer is clearly a better runner than Ahmard, and has none of Ahmard's ball security issues. Not that I would build the entire offense around a two-RB package, but it could be effective for maybe 8-10 snaps per game, and give opposing defenses one more thing to prepare for.

5. Titans Blue

Titans Blue Camp Fodder

as long as we dont start out as bad as last week!!!! man it sucked we gave up an opening kickoff for a td and then fumbled right away. special teams needs to stay disiplined today as this is week 3 it will set a lot in motion for a while in the season. I also hope that if what we try to do in the first half dont work, then our coaching staff changes things up and makes adjustments because last week i didnt see much adjustments which got me really angry!!!!!

6. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

Stop the cj short across the middle sit-down throw. That play is gonna hurt us. He sucks at this route. If he is a safety valve, it needs to be off the LOS on either side of the tight ends or out in the flats.

7. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

Oh and that interior three of the oline is about to get nicknamed the inferior three if they don't step up.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Today, game should be a tougher test. I don't know if the wind issues are as strange as they were at the old stadium but he's got to a better job with ball security on-the-road.

9. turnNburn

turnNburn All American NCAAF Gamer!

.....thank you bud adams!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar