What's wrong with the Titans?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Biggest difference is still that Gregg Williams hasn't had a defence that sucked for years. If he had he would be in the same boat as Jimbo.

Just out of curiosity, how far along in the season will you excuse Schwartz if the defence doesn't improve?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans D has been abused throughout the preseason on the QB rollback. Hopefully, LaBoy does a better job until Odom can make the return. Schobel hasn't shown me anything yet.

3. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

I do love Gregg Williams. I am a Gregg Williams or (hard hitting defense groupie). I would love to have him back and yes I think our defense would make a statement.

They gave up 500 yards? What can I say it's preseason. By the way if our defense didn't play in the regular season like it was preseason then I could say the same for Schwartz (It's just preseason). The problem is the defense, preseason or not, looks like the same crap I have seen for the past few years. I not giving him a pass because preseason defense or regular season it doesn't matter. The result is the same.

4. TitanJeff

He's also not had the lack of talent, experience and injury factors the Titans have either the last two seasons.

If the team stays healthy, I want to see steady improvement throughout the season. With the talent the Titans brought in, along with more experience for the young guys, anything close to what we saw in '04 and '05 isn't acceptable. I am hoping this defense comes together to one which ends the season around #15. If that was to happen, I think the Titans D will be ready to make the move back to the top ten in '07.

5. TitanJeff

At least you are consistent.

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

TJ, you're usually right, or confident enough in your answers to make us THINK that you are, but if this was just some fluke preseason thing it wouldn't hold as much merit. The simple fact is that this has been going on for more than 3 years, and we have yet to see a drastic change in attitude and aggressiveness, even considering we've added more talent, which by the way is a cop-out. I guess we still don't have enough talent?? how many more players do we need to draft and free agents do we need to sign only to have people look at the talent level and not the coaching. One thing is for certain, every player who is drafted is a superior athlete, given the few freaks like Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Jevon Kearse, so as far as talent goes, we have just as stocked a roster as any other team in the NFL. How we use it, or don't is up to us. Gregg Williams doesn't have half the high picks we do, but will get his defense to be top 5 again, because he recognizes their strengths and weaknesses, and puts them in a position to succed, by taking away the run first. "Once you make a team one dimensional, they can only beat you one way; if you don't, they not only control what they do on offense, but what YOU do on defense" Gregg Williams as the head coach in Buffalo in '03.

I would just love to see Schwartz get fired and what anyone else could do with this defense, I would marvel at the way they played differently without the "chains" on.

7. 4andershv

4andershv Camp Fodder

Completely forgot about that one. My bad!

8. TitanJeff

If it is all about Schwartz, explain the '03 Titans defense.

Such as? Tell me who the Titans have drafted since '03 who has been productive. Williams? Woolfolk? Gardner? Boiman? Calmus? Beckham? Echols? Starks? Long? Odom? LaBoy? Schobel?

And how about those free agents? Thompson? Reese hit a home run with KVB but it's too early to judge Hope and Thornton though both appear to be solid so far.

During that time span, the Titans lost Kearse, Rolle, Dyson, Carter, and Schulters. Do you not see a significant dropoff in talent from '03?

I disagree. Do you see any players leaving this system and thriving anywhere else?

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

If it isn't Schwartz, then explain the last 3 years under this defense. In '03, Schwartz was handed the defense built from the ground up, he couldn't screw that defense up enough to make a significant change, but in the sucessive years he has. You couldn't change the attitude that Williams instilled overnight, it has taken 3 long years to bottom out.

Thank you for giving me that list of draft picks, Woolfolk, Odom, Starks, and Laboy, Calmus, Tank were all very successful college football players and showed a ton of upside from the minute they stepped on the field. Have they gotten any better or been utilized any more than when they were green rookies? no, Gregg Williams turned Perry Phoenix, John Thornton, Robaire Smith, Joe Sal'avea, Josh Evans, just to name a few into players that exceeded expectations. Can you say the same about any player drafted that has even MET expectations? Haynesworth is the only one close, and he is still disappointing us each year.

Free agents? "Hope and Thornton appear to solid so far". Chris Hope and David Thornton have already been successful in their NFL careers, Hope already sounds frustrated with the way the defensive practices have been run and the lack of fire.

During that time span of the great Defensive losses. Remember that Kearse was not the same player after his broken foot, he was in and out of the lineup with Samari all the time, I was always reading about how much of a liability Lance was in coverage and wouldn't hit people because of his incessant shoulder separation, Dyson was average and a liability too, and wasn't any better than Reynaldo Hill, Carter was a beast and kept the DLine honest. We never had serious issues when plugging players in at these spots in the past because even our backups were coddled and not isolated to be taken advantage of(product of good coaching, disquise your weaknesses).

As for you're last question, no, I don't see any of these players leaving and being successful anywhere else, but I did have a good feeling about Tank, and if and when Woolfolk gets moved, I think he will be a quality player in this league. Most of the time, the players that leave this system are so shattered, their confidence has totally left them, that they might as well pack it in anyways. Look at the careers of the Titans defenders, would you pay good money for anyone who has been beaten mentally practice after practice and no longer has any fire to play a position at which this is the one vital ingredient?

10. TitanJeff

Uh, Schwartz was made the DC in January 2001.

The '02 Titans D finished in the top 10 and was a top three D the final 11 games. Most of it was without Kearse.

In '03, Schwartz's D led the league in rush defense and third-down defense.

And let's look at the Titans D during that final Williams season where they were the league's best. One of the best parts was that the 2000 Titans D ranked #1 in the league on third-down efficiency at 30.8%.

Guess who coordinated the Titans D third-down packages that season?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar