What's wrong with the Titans?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I didn't see the game, so I really can't comment on the performance. But I can comment on the extraordinary "apologeticness" of the statements TJ. If we take away the other plays that the Falcons scored on, we would have won the game also.

I really want to be positive and upbeat but it is very hard to do when the team appears to be in disarray. I agree the OL and DL are the weakness of the team. A torn biceps is often a season ending injury. It appears it should be in this case b/c Pillar can't get the job done without holding. Coaches should recognize this.

1 TD in 3 games because we're only using "60%" of our offense? I just don't want to hear any more excuses or "reasons". I want to see improvement- verified by statistics. I'd like to start by seeing us SHUT DOWN THE RUN! I don't care if we lose every game if we can stop giving up over 150 yards per game (or half!).

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Yeah, I'm trying to catch up :ha:

3. 4andershv

4andershv Camp Fodder

1st string D was allright, but just like the offense they made no plays:

No INTs, no FF's, no sacks!

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think you needed to see this game in order to note the difference between the game in Denver and what we saw Saturday night. Beyond the one meltdown, I thought the first team D did okay against a potent offense. All those stats after halftime are meaningless, IMO.

I don't think anyone should be upbeat right now. There is plenty of reason for concern. But I'm not ready to drink the koolaid yet.

5. TitanJeff

Thornton had a sack in the first series of the game.

6. TitanJeff

You love Gregg Williams, right? He'd have this Titans defense making a statement, right?

Williams' loaded defense gave up 41 points last Saturday and nearly 500 yards of offense. In the first half, his starting D gave up 228 yards and 20 points to the Pats.

Or let's look at the previous week and the 27 points he gave up to the Jets which included 17 points, 177 total yards and 145 rushing yards in the first half.

Point being, if you want to draw conclusions on Schwartz and THIS SEASON'S Titans defense based on preseason play, why would anyone want Williams instead? We'd be crucifying Schwartz today if the Titans lost to the Falcons 41-0.

I wouldn't judge Schwartz any more for what we've seen than I would Williams.

7. Riverman

It sounds like the first team had a better showing- I wish I had seen it. I was in St. Louis-no luck finding it. I agree about the stats except the first half stats were completely unimpressive. I think we had given 100 yards to one running back. I understand he broke a big one, but still that is a testament to what we're not doing.

We've got to do better stopping the run. This has been going on for almost 3 years now.

8. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Blown blocking assignment. The guard didn't even look at him. Keith Bulluck audibled into that defense when he saw 5 wide come out, so it was a good adjustment by him, Thorton just did what anybody who comes free should do, and that's sack the QB, even if it was MV, the most elusive QB in the game......next to VY:))

9. TitanJeff

It was a big play. And Vick rolled out to Schobel's side three times for big gains. I'm not sugarcoating the situation because that one big run was enough, in itself, to win the game.

But you remove the big run along with the Vick scrambles and the Titans gave up just over four yards a carry and just about shut down the passing game.

Point being, they were not consistently bad the first half like we saw in Denver.

10. Riverman

By that account it is reasonable to expect better from the starting D-line. Blown LB assignment on the big run?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar