What's wrong with the Titans...?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Before we can decide whom to draft, we need to ask ourselves....what'
    s wrong with this team and how did we slide so far down so fast?

For those of you having difficulty puytting your finger on it, I'll post the obvious choices (but feel free to throw in your own theories)...these are in no particular order.

1 - McNair is done/over the hill/washed up. We need a new QB.
    2 - The OL is hurting and can't protect our QB and open enough holes for the run game. We need OL help.
    3 - Chris Brown is not the answer and Henry is a drug test away from being out of the league. We need a new RB.
    4 - We lack quality at WR. Sure Bennett is nice, but what's after him? Calico either isn't cutting it or hurt and the others are too young and not experienced enough to be dependable #1 or #2. We need a WR.
    5 - Our DL is better on paper than on the field. We don't get a consistent pass rush and need DL help.
    6 - Outside of Bulluck, we have no one. Though the 'new' guy will hopefully help, is Sirmon the answer at MLB? We need a LB.
    7 - Despite having 2 first rdrs as starting CB's, we can't cover anyone! We need a CB.
    8 - Maybe losing Lance hurt more than some thought and Tank is not the same player. We need a Safety.
    9 - Our offense was inconsistent...maybe Chow is not good in the NFL ala Paul Hackett. We need a new OC.
    10 - Our defense has been on the decline since Schwartz didn't have the best talent in the league on D. We need a new DC.
    11 - Fisher has lost this team. They are undisciplined, don't hit hard anymore, aren't hungry and he's the leader of the ship. We need a new HC.
    12 - Reese used to be lauded as one of the best GM's in the game, but he let Runyan, Kearse, Rolle and Mason all leave without getting anything in return. Worse, his drafting has been questionable and the players aren't panning out. A one year re-build is gonna turn into 3-4 years and end the Steve McNair era. We need a new GM.

Note, I'm offering things you could argue, NOT that I think all these things are wrong with the team.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts and opinions. Please back it up with something (stats, on or off the field example, ect).

Gut

2. Well, since you've been gone we signed Givens, who is not a starting receiver but will add depth.

In the 1st round, I feel we should draft Young and in the 2nd, access our problem at MLB, and sign D'Quell Jackson. Thornton and Bulluck should be a good partnership next year and i'm looking forward to that

We've signed Chris Hope, so that access our FS problme and in the process, moved Thompson to SS and released Tank to the Vikings

We don't need an OC, although Chow needs to rethink his give ball to TE's tactic. If this team does not go forward this year, then Fisher's string that he is holding onto will snap IMO. I don't like our DC but then again, I don't know who else is out there that can do a better job with the team we have

No 100 yard rushing game made me angry last season, if Brown and Henry don't produce next season, then IMO they're gone.

MAN, i'm looking forward to the draft!!!

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

10 is the understatement of the offseason

4. Why don't you cheer for another team? YOU NEED A NEW TEAM!!

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

We signed Givens. Between he and Drew, a number 1 should emerge, and both are serious threats. We had good support from our rookies, who should improve this year. Add in the possibility of Calico being good again, and we don't need to do anything at WR.

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

why don't you come back with some positives/objections to his post instead of just saying he needs a new team.:sad2:

7. mdfan

mdfan Starter

It seems like the Titans stay in salary cap trouble, could part of the Titan's trouble be the way the FO manages the cap?

8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I actually think 2,3,& 6 are our biggest needs. We could wind up fixing any of them during the second round, since the first round pick will be used on our QB of the future. My choice for the use of our 2nd round pick would be:

1. First round quality RB: If Maroney, White, or even Williams (I wish) were to fall to us during the 2nd, it'd be hard to pass him up. While Brown and Henry are at times solid,most of the time this year they were inconsistent. No 100 yd. games this year? That has got to be fixed.

2. D'Qwell Jackson, MLB: Our other biggest problem is the defense has a whole, and our run defense in pacticular. The FO has already said they were looking for some speedy LBs. Jackson is the answer to that. He's a very good sideline-to-sideline player. He's also very good in coverage, so he'll be able to play on passing downs as well.

3. If Jackson was gone, I'd want us to get the top tackle available. Guys that come to mind are Eric Winston, Marcus McNeil, Jonathan Scott, and Ryan O'Callahan. If we were to pick Jackson in the second, we need to look for a way to package some of the 10 second day picks to get a third rounder back. (May have to put some of the picks with a player) Other tackles that are ranked around the third round include Daryn College, Andrew Whitworth, and Jeremy Trueblood.

4. The other option would be to take a corner/safety with the 2nd round pick. However, with the signing of Hope and resigning of Thompson, I think safety is unlikely. Corner will only be an option if a first round talent falls to the second. (Tye Hill has visited the Titans).

*The Unlikely Scenario* Don't forget that there is still a chance that we get Bush at #3. (Unlikely, but possible) In that case, we should use our 2nd round pick on either Omar Jacobs or Charlie Whitehurst.

In any of these scenarios, I think we need to look into trading back into the third.

JMO

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

We don't have any salary cap issues other than McNair

10. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

pshhh we will be back this season say all u want about how bad we are but they players we got now is good enough for .500 so get a new team like the colts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar