Whats the word on Limas Sweed?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titan_fan_4ever, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Another problem. I don't want to take a guy in the first round that can't get healthy within a year's time. Givens is being released for the same reasons.

2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Honestly, I think Sweed is gonna be an alright receiver. But I really like the idea of picking up Manningham in round 2. There's a chance he drops that far now. When you watch him run it, it was clear he was plenty fast. He's obviously a very fast receiver who just doesn't have good forty form. And that's ok because he won't play WR from a 3 point stance anyways.

Anybody see Earl Bennett's times?

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

4.48 and 4.52

4. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

He was a pre-season All American and the top receiver on a National Championship team, so its not like he didn't have a successful career. His injury needs to be evaluated. I know nothing about wrist injuries, but that is the one concern I have about him now.

I would love to get both Sweed and Manningham, but I'm not holding my breath.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that's debatable. he's never had 50 receptions in a year.

6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

yea your right no one wants a 6'5 receiver who can run a 4.4 40 and jump like a gazzell. Your only making yourself look foolish. Every question you had about him was just proven wrong and all you can say is Mario is better because well he had better stats. Well guess what every Texas Tech receiver had better stats than Mario so I guess they are all better, if you want to find the next wes welker that your thing but Sweed has proven he is legit and just about everyone that does this crap for a living is saying he is #1.

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Texas had 5 receivers that had 30 or more receptions not to mention a two TE that had more than 40. 50 catches at Texas for any receiver is a milestone.

8. HorusKing

HorusKing Guest

Sweed is the best Wide Out along with Desean Jackson who reminds me of Marvin Harrison when he came out of Syracuse.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It is interesting that at first many of us, me included were leary of Sweed because we weren't sure about his speed. There are posts saying we should take Manningham because we need speed over size. Well, based on 40 times Sweed is as fast or faster than Manningham. IMO that puts Sweed in a much better light for me. His leaping ability and ht certainly help his cause. Also trying to compare WRs based on their college stats is ridiculous. I agree that Manningham is a good WR but it is a stretch to say he is better because he had better stats than another guy. We drafted a guy last year in the 6th round who had great college stats. Where is he now?

IMO Jackson is a midget. People can try and make comparisons to Marvin Harrison all you want but IMO Jackson isn't what we need because he is only a returner and slot WR who is going to get killed in the NFL. He doesn't have Harrison's receiving ability by a long shot.

There are also posts of people saying Bowman is the guy we should look at. Besides making an arse out of himself at the senior bowl when he couldn't catch anything he also ran some terrible 40 times. Not sure what the deal is with that guy but he sure is dropping fast.

The guy I was high on and now I'd be all over him is Caldwell. A very polished WR who ran a blistering 40. I bet he moves up real fast. The kid from Michigan State sure surprised in the 40 as well.

All in all after these workouts what looked like a mediocre WR class just got very interesting. These 40 times were surprising.

I still like Earl Bennett. He ran a 4.51 which isn't real fast but isn't slow either and I believe his first 10 yards was one of the fastest of the WRs. He is extremely polished and worthy of a 1st round pick IMO.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

This year, Sox, you and I are very much on the same page. :)

I agree about Sweed. Very funny. We were all like, "Oh c'mon, mocks, stop giving us Texas players in round one cause they played with Vince." Now with the 40 time, not many of us would be mad at the selection.

I think DeSean Jackson could end up falling to us because of his size. I kind of hope we'd pass.

I think Mario Manningham could fall to us in two. It's making me think of Daymien Hughes, the Cal DB, who fell to the Colts in three after a disappointment 40 time. Some were saying he was the best DB in the draft, but his 40 made him fall. I agree that Manningham has poor form for the 40, and wouldn't have a problem taking him in two. Other teams are probably prepared for the same, however.

People who talk about Bowman as qualifying for our pick at #24 are waaaaay out of touch with what's going on. He dropped everything at the Senior Bowl, in practice, in game. Add to that his slow 40 time (Boldin-esque -- and yes, I'm aware of the flipside to that) and his questionable character, you have a fall in the making. This guy is sitting in round three right now, and I think the second is about the best he can hope to accomplish. He can change all that once he gets in, but I do believe first round is out of the question.

My three (with a 4th outside) WRs in one are pretty much this:

Limas Sweed -- the 40 was my only question. Most developed senior receiver, good speed, body control and hands. Okay. Now I believe. The wrist shouldn't be an issue.

Devin Thomas -- ran a 4.32 and 4.34. Most thought he was a 4.5 guy. 6'2, 218. Jeff Fisher said we'd look for big and fast, but if we had to choose, we'd lean toward fast. This guy potentially is the total package we're looking for in a WR. Big. Physical. Fast. Good character and work ethic. Willing to play special teams. Will work for his. I will not be mad if he's our pick in one, though he may not be polished enough to warrant it. Surely has much work to do learning NFL-style routes, but I think he's got enough to make teams feel okay taking a chance on him high.

Andre Caldwell -- ran 4.31. Six feet, 200#. Negative: UF grad, and we know how they do in the NFL, but dangit, he really could be that good. Runs pretty good routes, too.

Thomas and Caldwell may both last until round two, but I doubt either lasts until our pick. If Chris Johnson and Limas Sweed are gone, I'm not going to be mad if either of these guys is our pick.

Dark Horse: I've heard the bad on him, and he would have to go a long way to dispel the perception for us to draft him in one, but this guy could be real good before it's over. He's a notch below Sweed in terms of development, work ethic and character, but the potential is definitely there: James Hardy.

Malcolm Kelly could be around when we pick. Maybe not. It'll be interesting to see how the thigh contusion affects his draft stock. When I saw his highlight clip on nflfans.com, one thing that impressed me was his willingness to go over the middle. Nonetheless, I'd take Thomas or Caldwell over Hardy or Kelly at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar