Whats the word on Limas Sweed?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titan_fan_4ever, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Gloat he played in a running offense, and when they did pass the ball it was spread around. Even with those terrible numbers somehow he was pre-season all-american this past year. Your reason for not liking sweed is numbers then you list desean jackson who had 762 yards receiving on the year. The guy only had 2 games on the season where he caught over 100 yards. I like all those other receivers but you can't just say limas has no chance before you've seen all the guys workouts.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I guarantee you Texas ran the ball no more than Michigan did, and Manningham's numbers dwarf Sweed's.
    If you have a great receiver, you throw to him. No excuses. And I'm not saying he has no chance. I'm saying he isn't worth a 1st round pick. He's not. How many other 1st round receivers have the numbers he has? Very few probably. I'm not saying he wont be good, he just doesn't warrant a 1st round pick. Not worth that type of gamble.

3. Deuce Wayne

Alright, trying to shed a bit of light. Here's last year's 1st round receivers:

Calvin Johnson
    Teddy Ginn Jr
    Dwayne Bowe
    Robert Meachem
    Craig Davis
    Anthony Gonzales

Comparing the last 2 years worth of stats, Sweeds look like this:

Receiving Yards: 1,107
    TDs: 15
    YPC: 17

Gonzales (5th receiver taken @32):
    Receiving Yards: 1,107
    TDs: 11
    YPC: 14
    *Sweed's numbers are better than Gonzales (but AG was the #2 receiver on the team)

Craig Davis:
    Receiving Yards: 1,379
    TDs: 6
    YPC: 15
    *Close call, but again, a receiver that split catches with another 1st round pick.

Robert Meachem:
    Receiving Yards: 1,681
    TDs: 13
    YPC: 16.81
    *Not much competition here.

Tedd Ginn Jr
    Receiving Yards: 1,584
    TDs: 13
    YPC: 14

Dwayne Bowe:
    Receiving Yards: 1,700
    TDs: 14
    YPC: 16

Calvin Johnson:
    Receiving Yards: 2,090
    TDs: 21
    YPC: 16

Sweed would be rated about where Gonzales is, in my opinion. Most other 1st round wideouts have at least 1,300 yards under their belt within their last 2 years.
    And keep in mind, I used the 2 year thing to help Sweed compare. If we're going by stats this year, he wouldn't stand a chance.
    It's hard to think a team will use a 1st round pick on a guy that had 300 yards receiving this year. And while yes, he was injured, so was Mike Hart, and it's definitely hurt his stock.

Now, here's what's more important than looking at last years outcome with the draft. Look at the talent this year that Sweed is up against.

Sweed is coming off a 300 yard season. He barely gets over the 1,000 yard mark total in his last 2 seasons.

Adarius Bowman? 1,006 yards this year. The same as Sweed's last 2. Last 2 years combined Bowman has 2,187 yards. 20 touchdowns. And averages more than 17 ypc.
    No comparison here. Bowman's numbers actually rival Calvin Johnson's. Actually - they're better. Why no hype?

Mario Manningham - 1174 yards this season. 1877 in last 2 seasons. 21 touchdowns. And averaging about 17 ypc.
    Again, no comparison at all.

DeSean Jackson - 762 yards this year. 1,822 within last 2. 15 TDs.
    Numbers are better than Sweed's slightly, but his speed and upside puts him ahead,imo.

James Hardy - 1,125 yards this year. 1847 in last 2. 36TDs.
    Well. It wasn't very close anyway, but 36 TD's pretty much made it official.

Malcolm Kelly - 821 yards this year. 1,814 over last 2. 19 TDs.
    Again, Sweed just doesn't give much of a fight in the stats columns.

Devin Thomas - 1260 yards this year. 1350 in last 2. 9 TDs.
    I think this kid and Sweed are in the same boat and should be taken right around the same time. However, a 1,200 yard season is something sweed hasn't had.

So there ya go. I mainly just think Sweed needs to prove a lot more before he gets taken in round 1. He first needs to prove that he has the talent, and then prove that he isn't far too injury prone for it to ever matter.

4. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Sweed got injured in the 4th game of the season this year. If 1300 is the magical mark I think he would have gone for 200 more yards if he was healthy over the final 7 games that he didn't play. I guess we should take davone bess from hawaii because he had 2486 yds with 27 tds over the last 2 years.
    Look at the best receivers in the NFL right now and not very many of them had huge numbers while playing at big colleges. Heck if the draft was based on college numbers wes welker wouldn't have been undrafted.

5. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

More Weapons

You make an excellent point, GLOAT...

Texas and Michigan had about the same amount of rushing attempts in '07.

Sweed did however injure himself before the season started in 07, and ended up not being effective and having surgery a few games into the season.

The point I was making in an earlier post, is that TEXAS spreads the ball to more recievers, in 07, Michigan had 4 recievers with more than 100 yards, Texas had 7.
    http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/000_stats/07/teamcume.htm#TEAM.TEM
    http://stats.ath.umich.edu/football/seasontot.php

In 06 the year that Sweed was the leading receiever Texas had 8 receivers eclipse 100 yards.
    http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/000_stats/06/teamcume.htm#TEAM.TEM

6. Deuce Wayne

I understand he was injured. But that's another question about Sweed. Can he stay healthy? And good find with the 7/8 players over 100 stat.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Who the heck is Craig Davis?

8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Gloat, I agree with your conclusion but how you got there is seriously flawed. The numbers don't really mean a thing in this case. I consider Sweed to be more untapped than mediocre on the talent thing. The reason I would take Jackson and Manningham over Sweed is the fact that they are more what the Titans need, really fast guys that can make the catch in traffic and still take it to the house. Sweed is very good at making the catch but he is not a real threat to run with the ball after he catches it.

I see Sweed as a Plexico Burris (of some guy that spells his name similar) type of receiver but what we need is a guy like Ted Ginn Jr. That would be a better compliment to our receivers than Sweed would be. Now I do agree that if he is available in the 2nd we should take a strong look at him.

9. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

He's a reciever for the Chargers. Goes by Buster though

10. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i agree ...we need some speed to stretch the field...really our only speed recier right now is roydell....an he didnt do enough although i like his potential...as for size if we keep gage and jones returns thatll be enoguht red zone targets....if vince can learn passin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar