What's the deal with Young?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I didn't say he hurt us this season.. what i meant was that he did in 07 when he threw so many interceptions which cost us dearly.

Plus he almost pulled himself out of a playoff game.:hmm:
    He couldn't handle the pressure and was worried that if we lost and he was the cause, he wouldn't be looked at as the same 'Great' Vince Young by fans.
    He might be doubted by both fans and the media.
    How is that not 'defending his big ego.'?

Last year, I clearly recall soooo many opportunities for him to scramble and run into day light, but instead he chose to pass the ball to prove that he's a pocket passer and could run only if he needed to.. and when he ran nobody could catch him.

That didn't sit well with me. I like how KFC started the first 5-6 games this season with poor stats.. and instead of trying to prove he could do better, he just kept humble with his game style and let the wins come to us. He didn't try to do too much, nor prove to anyone that he can pass for 300 yards per game. He managed the games nicely and didn't make many mistakes.

Coming into the season, Vince's tasks were simple:
    1) hand the ball to CJ
    2) Hand the ball to LW
    3) Scramble for 5-7 yards
    4) Pass the ball 2 yards to CJ
    5) Pass the ball 2 yards to AH
    6) Scramble for 10-12 yards
    7) Pass the ball 7 yards to Alge
    8) Pass the ball 7 yards to Bo
    9) Scramble for 5-7 yards
    10) Once every 2 quarters, safely air it off 30 yards to Gage to spread the defense.

Pretty boring right?

Instead.. Vince wanted to prove his critics wrong and tried hard to prove to everyone that he should be in the same boat as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, and that cost us!

If we wanted a pocket passer we could have drafted Cutler.

Vince was firing it off every chance he had last season, and at times he had huge gaps in front of him, and Bo Scaife open, and instead of running it for 10 or 12 yards, or passing it off safely to Bo or an open RB for a handful of yards, he would air it out 20-25 yards beyond the line of scrimmage trying to squeeze it into the hands of a tightly protected Gage.

The most selfish act I've personally witnessed of him was week 1 against the Jags last season. It was 3rd and 2 on the Jaguars 2 yard line and he had 5 yards between him and the closest unblocked defender. He could have walked the ball in for a TD but instead he tried to force it into the hands Chris Davis. We ended up settling for a 20 yard Bironas field goal. He put himself first at the overall expense of the team. He didn't care for 7 points. All he cared for was another TD pass on his stat sheet.

And thats why we have cheerleaders.

Or if we want an Icon to help out on the sidelines, we could without much arm twisting convince Eddie George or McRaven to hang out with our coaching staff on the sidelines during the games to provide moral support, and celebrate with our players after a TD or a great play.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

wow one time out of how many games he finally got his butt over there to listen or talk. Still not impressed with him then again I never have been.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. DJB

DJB Starter

You're probably right...this was the one time he's been over to talk to them. You see a 5 second clips of him standing on the sidelines and assume thats what he's always doing. You see a shot of him doing what you want him to do and you assume it's the one time he's done it.

4. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Yeah I am right. You know I wasn't the one who started this thread so others have noticed it also. No, I actually see him standing there not talking to them when I am at the games and not in a 5 second clip. This isn't the first time it has been brought up.

5. DJB

DJB Starter

I've seen him standing by himself as well. My point is he can't win with some people. He's been criticized for not being engaged enough then when he does the things people want him to do the reaction isn't "good for him, thats what we wanted to see", it's "whatever, I still don't like him"

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

First, **** Christie Simms.

Second, **** Christie Simms.

Simms is a loser. Do you guys even realize what Simms professional stats are?

12 Tds, 17 Ints

3000 yards passing... in 5 seasons!!!

Why even consider going to this guy after this season? For all the complaints on Vince, why turn the offense over to another turnover machine that can't stay on the field, or beat out decent competition? And it's not like his college stats are much better. And it's known he can't win the big game.

If Phil Simms was not Christie's dad, Christie would not be in the NFL.

I don't know where the hate on Vince comes from? He's listening to music on his I-pod and pouting? Nah. He's working to get better at practice I'm sure. He's trying to learn by watching the game and taking a step back. I'm sure he's also trying to get himself together mentally.

Vince may or may not be the answer beyond this season. Simms isn't the answer for any team, anywhere.

Oh, and it's time to play Vince, at WR. We're on a superbowl run here. Just give him a WR screen play and work it in a few times before the season is over. We'll need all the tricks possible come playoff time.

7. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

You say he cost us but what do you think our record could have been last year? I really don't care if a player costs us to win by 3 instead of 10 as long as we win. In the playoffs he played a game similar to a lot of collins' games this year. That's exactly how chow wanted him to play. You really don't think vince choosing to pass instead of run is on the coaches at all?

And he didn't almost pull himself out of playoff game. If one guy comes out and says vince tried to pull himself out and 100 guys say he didn't somehow you believe the one.

8. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I just want to point out that Schefter suddenly decided to break that story the week of the "insane depressed chicken wings" incident. So the timing was very funny to begin with. Then after he broke the story, several other writers came down on it and said that the story wasn't true.

I don't buy the thing about him trying to throw the ball to pad his stats. I imagine the coaches were telling him to the pass the ball first, run second, and that's what he was trying to do. But that's all conjecture with no real substance either way. Hard to argue about.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

What Vince is saying:

"For real Kerry- you mean those numbers you are shouting can change the play?" :wink2:

• High Five High Five x 5
  10. halt

halt Starter

I can't figure out how to do the high five thing, so, I'll just say "high five"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar