What's the deal with AT&T anyways?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

What the hell is going on with AT&T?

Why is it okay for Bell companies to be bought by AT&T?
    Were they not created to break up AT&T?

Also, what in the world is this anti-AT&T advertisement all about? AT&T wants to get in the cable tv business??? ...but it seems that this would have a negative effect on the consumer somehow? I'm really unclear on that...

Now AT&T is gonna sue Jeff Burton?

[​IMG]
    http://www.fairviewobserver.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070321/BUSINESS01/703210408
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070321/tn_cable_competition.html?.v=1
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/racing/03/16/att.lawsuit.ap/index.html?eref=si_motorsports

2. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

The cable company doesn't want the competition.
    That is it in a nutshell.

Personally, I want some option in case the cable geeks get out of hand.

The argument about "only serving the rich" is bogus, because the poor are not (or shouldn't be) spending $200 a month on digital video subscriptions and broadband Internet.

In neighborhoods that ATT would serve, it means that the cable provider no longer holds those customers hostage.

3. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Agreed. Any competition is a good thing. Just as an example, in Knoxville, certain areas of the city have their choice between two cable providers. In those areas subscribers pay about 2/3 of what everyone else has to pay. A guy I know lives in a neighborhood that both providers serve. He just called up and said he was going to switch and got the deal.

4. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I wish we had a choice of cable companies in Nashville. In Nashville we have Comcast but another county has Charter...are they connected or competitors? If competitors then Charter needs to hit Nashville with some rates...come on in AT&T for cheaper cable bills

5. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

It's a grey area apparently. I thought they were competitors.
    We have Charter (and only Charter), no choices.
    However, if you want to advertise locally on TV.... you call the Comcast people to by air time, NOT Charter. (WTF?)

Like I said, we have no choices, no "On Demand" service, no NFL Network.... and rates continually increase.
    I got the DVR box (TiVo type deal) and they raised the monthly charge for it by 15% or 20% within 3 months.)

For all the advertisements you see with reasons to keep AT&T out, there are just as many reasons to let them in, I'm sure.
    I love how the ads say "keep it local". LOCAL? Charter is not local! It's a huge *** company. Regional maybe, but definately not local.

If it wasn't for the internet service (which would mean changing my email address that I have used for business for 4+ years) and the fact that we have a crap load of TVs in our house....I would have booted Charter for Direct TV long ago.

6. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

The cable companies are regulated differently.

ATT wants the state (rather than municipalities) to govern its ability to lease right-of-ways to serve a subscriber base, starting with people who they know can afford to pay the bill.

The local municipal government franchise commissions determine which cable company gets the exclusive monopoly in its jurisdiction. The "franchise fee" on your cable bill is essentially the local tax bribe money that you pay on behalf of your cable provider.
    The local government has no incentive to keep service high and prices low. Quite the opposite, they want high bills to collect more taxes.

So local governments don't want that tax/bribe money to get shifted to the state government.

But at the consumer level, ATT wants what is best for the consumer.
    The cable providers treat the customer like dirt unless there is a competing option for similar service.

7. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

I'm not for the legislation that is being pushed through the way it is worded now. If it succeeds, PEG channels could be eliminated, which might include MTSU's MTTV channel 10, which would take away extremely valuable experience from students in the Mass Comm college like me.

8. Ewker

Ewker Starter

seems anymore you have got to have at least a basic cable package to even pickup the local channels. I have thought about dropping cable all together but if I do my cable internet goes up. I do get a small price break having cable TV and internet..nothing to brag about though :irked:

9. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

How does a law about rights-of-way cause channels to be dropped?
    Where do you get that idea?

10. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

If the current legislation were to pass today, with no revisions, then public, education, and government access channels (or PEG Channels) would have to put on air eight hours of non-repeating content a day, seven days a week, or the cable company could shut down those channels and take back the channel space. Look it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar