what's next? Merriman for M.V.P.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanicvolfan, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I dont think you can go past Odell Thurman for DROTY.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Merriman has had a great year, especially for a rookie, but that doesn't mean he should go to the pro bowl. It doesn't matter who people are comparing him to, what matters is what he does. He had a great game against the colts, but the season is 17 weeks. Look at the stats for the season, Bulluck totally deserved to go.
    Who has Bulluck been compared to? Here's Len from ESPN.com...
    "Sure, he plays on a really bad team, but the guy is really good, and even under dire circumstances, he didn't show any slippage this season. Bulluck has 119 tackles, four sacks, two interceptions and seven passes defensed, and is one of the best all-around 'backers in the game. That he has been to just one Pro Bowl game in his career is a travesty."

I'd say he's been compared to everyone.

Actually, I really agree with Soxcat, that they don't really play the same position, so it's a strange comparison.

How exactly can you determine that Merriman played with 10x the intensity of bulluck every game? Are you sure it wasn't 6x? Bulluck's a pretty fierce player, and definitely provides the additude on D when it's needed. Just because he doesn't have a tattoo and do a dance doesn't mean that he isn't intense...

3. CriticalTheory

CriticalTheory WestSide 718 ShadowMafia!

I'm not going to quote all that and I don't feel like quoting the last paragraph so Critical will say this.

"Attitude when needed"?

You're supposed to have attitude every play not when it's needed, Merriman was on the "I'll lay you out" tip every play.

Merriman is on a whole other level even if Bulluck was to Blitz I doubt you'll see him pushing Lineman into their QB's. Not only that Merriman can just straight use speed to get around. You can line Merriman up all over the field he'll go side line to side line just Like Bulluck.

Sorry but KB has not been compared to every one Jim doesn't Blitz so the L.T, D.T, K.G comparisons are not there. He doesn't hit like Butkus, Lewis, Nitschke etc so those comparisons are not there.

He is good there is no denying that but Merriman will be a Pro Bowler for at least the next 7-8yrs.

4. CriticalTheory

CriticalTheory WestSide 718 ShadowMafia!

Another thing is the Colts game just showed the Nation what Merriman is all about. Everybody who played against the Chargers knew what he was about all along.

What you guys fail to realize is the Coaches and players Vote so obviously the coaches and players felt Merriman was more deserving.

Last time I checked you are supposed to show up in the big games, Thats what Merriman did. He showed up played big time and got the spotlight.

You guys should be complaining bout Cato June instead of Merriman, McGinnest showed up against the Colts last year now Merriman did.

The fact is great players play great in the big games.

5. wg53

wg53 Starter

Yes, he would...that's how he started off his career....and that's what he played in College.

6. wg53

wg53 Starter

Seattle's Rookie MLB is having a better year than Thurman.

7. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

Look, Bulluck and Merriman are two different players. Merriman is like a DE, he blitzes alot more than he sits in space. The SD defense doesn't necessarily require him to be a guy to play in space, ala Bulluck. Bulluck plays more in space. I like Bulluck - he does it all. He can blitz, cover and be another coach on the field, getting players in position. Think about this: What if we had Merriman on our team, paired with Bulluck? That would be sick....Oh and to say Bulluck doesn't have attitude, I'd like to know what you're smokin. I don't know anyone else who doesn't put his heart into the game more than Bulluck does. This guy isn't an all-Pro for nothing. Bulluck might not be a guy who smacks you in the face each down, but he's a finesse, tactical if you will, player. If he doesn't get you one way, he'll get you another way.

The player who shouldn't have been nominated is Cato June. That's the real upsetting part for me, knowing that a dolt dwarf is playing instead of an all-Pro. :sad2:

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Between Lofa Tatupu and Thurman, it goes to show that impact MLBs can certainly be had after the 1st round.

I don't doubt that Hawk and even Greenway are great players (as was Derrick Johnson), but using a top 10 pick on a MLB is a bit like using a top-10 pick on a RT. We need an impact skill player (QB, RB, DE, WR) with our top pick and I'd be all for using our 2nd rounder on the best available LB.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I would be too, but depends on value, if Hawk is the best available player I say we take him.

10. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Keep in mind Merriman was a DE at Maryland, so his pass-rushing ability stems from that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar