What would you do if Jevon Ringer blows CJ out of the water?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

At least 8 of them were splitting carries.

2. RTH

RTH Meh...

That would be good.

That would mean he's better than White and we won't have a severe drop-off in production if CJ goes down like we did against the Ravens.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

so what are you saying? Eddie "the workhorse" George is better because Jeff Fisher was foolish enough to hand him the rock 350-400 times a season?

4. RTH

RTH Meh...

Personally, I feel this stat doesn't work unless you also list the number of carries next to it.

I had a guy on Madden who was at 45.7 ypc... but, that's because he broke 2 big runs for almost 50 yards each. Granted, he only had the 2 carries all season...

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

Rushing Att/Season
    Michael Turner / 376
    Adrian Peterson / 363
    Clinton Portis / 342
    Matt Forte / 316
    Ryan Grant / 312
    LaDainian Tomlinson / 292
    Thomas Jones / 290
    Jamal Lewis / 279
    DeAngelo Williams / 273
    Steve Slaton / 268

Yds/Rushing Att

Derrick Ward /5.6
    DeAngelo Williams /5.5
    Brandon Jacobs /5.0
    Chris Johnson /4.9
    Adrian Peterson/4.8
    Pierre Thomas /4.8
    Steve Slaton /4.8
    Sammy Morris /4.7
    Jonathan Stewart /4.5
    Larry Johnson /4.5
    Thomas Jones /4.5
    Michael Turner /4.5

ok then man... above is the same list of averages that are better than Eddie George's typical sub 4/yd carry average... Highlighted in red are the names of guys who were top 10 in attempts and top 10 in carry average... that's just last season...

Turner and Peterson are both better than Eddie George... or at least should prove to be better... They have enough carries to make a valid comparison.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You said Eddie was never good enough to reach the averages of the running backs you listed.
    It's pretty well known that backs that split carries have higher averages in most cases, I guarantee you that if DeAngelo Williams or Derrick Ward were feature backs carrying the load they wouldn't have such an average.

Now in saying that, I don't think Eddie would have averaged 4.6 - 4.7 yards per carry but I think he would have been a 4.2 - 4.3 back average wise.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

not with that foot.

8. TitansCollector

TitansCollector #9 GBNF

Not to dispute the YPC point you bring up, but I think it is rare to have a back like Eddie who has the physical toughness couple with his run ability. I think his 3.7 YPC total over his carreer is respectable especially when you consider his last 3 years he was injured and on the decline. It is a testimate to the old school running backs that I dont think we will see much of anymore in this 2-HB era we are currently in.

For the era Eddie played in you couldnt ask from a much better HB than him. Especially since we (Titans era) have been a run first oriented team.

Eddie also never had less than 310 carries until his final season. And also stared every game from his rookie season, until his year with the Cowboys.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

so? All of this is only to underscore RollTides assertion that we are far better off using Chris Johnson more sparingly. I am convinced had we a better one-two punch; not Robert Holcombe, Skip Hicks, Chris Brown, Mike Green, Rodney Thomas... guys like that... Eddie wouldn't be #5 on the all-time carries per season list either... likely wouldn't have had the injury situation... Probably never would have gone to Dallas on us... But he was run into the ground.. all it does is prove that a two back system in a run oriented offense is superior to the alternative of giving a guy 350 or more carries a year... and my examples above.. well, Eddie George and history says that approaching 400 carries a year is career suicide. Adrian Peterson and Michael Turner can't keep that up. It will catch up to them.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Actually eddie's career average was 3.6 and during his prime years 1996-2000 he only averaged 3.85 per carry.

The bottom line is that several average backs could have averaged that over that time. I guess we have to weigh the value of having that one iconic type back vs simple production.

I know this never have we had that type of RB production that we had last year. 2001 yards 24 Tds and a 4.43 ypc will make us forget eddie george pretty damn quick. That's what CJ and lendale combined for..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar